wish i didn't get that parkin fine.. lol

do we have performance comps?
Jen
QUOTE (Dagger @ Aug 17 2009, 11:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Sando @ Aug 17 2009, 11:57 PM) *
So, what did y'all think?

wish i didn't get that parkin fine.. lol

dagger - If this was your first lan, well lesson learnt
if it wasnt, Mini has repeatly warned people to move their cars or face the rath of Latrobe...

I think the BBQ was EPIC WIN
jutzy
yeh it was a good lan - shame that not all 425 players attended but again its because some are pussys who didnt want to be tired for school or somthing-

-apart from my DC troubles at the start it went well XD

oh and happy birthday dagger
TechL
Awesome as usual.
crenn
I blame lewis that there wasn't enough of blaming lewis.
minski
It was my frist LAN event I ever went to and it was just AWESOME!! Got lots of music, movies games and most importantly made few new friends which is a damn WIN! biggrin.gif

Counting down to the next LAN! biggrin.gif
Ultimate_Sacrifice
Not that you file shared them.... you payed good money for them from the shop down the road *wink* LOL

good respawn once again lots of fun wish there was more blaming of Lewis i only heard one i think sad.gif and not many people showed! well short of the people that signed up sad.gif please dont just sign up and not turn up yours stopping someone else from coming...

berger
mojo had a shitty tron prize sad.gif
tass
I had a great time too, thank you Respawn for another great LAN.

I agree with the comments made by xevious on the people registering and not coming. It should of been jam packed considering there were 500+ players registered... Thats a big FAIL to those people
Plasia
Can tournament organisers please be organised in regards to brackets and such. Also it would be great if tournament results were posted.

All this can be solved by using this:
http://allisbrawl.com/tio/
Sharks
Event rocked.

did AFK comps run? biggrin.gif

Toilets sucked...
Terajiogga
Too much Microphone and love of ones voice. If people HAVEN'T paid for their pizzas, they probably aren't going to by your 30th announcements either! For my first Respawn, was pretty cool.
Frookie
people may have headphones on or be somewhere else...im sure they do not want anyone coming to them saying "what about my pizza?"
berger
they know when they have to order & pay for them. if they miss out then stiff shit.

THere was no music during the lan, bit dissapointed there.

bit sad the lan was half full, still a good turnout.

LolSauce
Spamming the mic is fucking annoying... and the people doing it just look like dicks.
SirSquidness
Ironically, the feedback I've had in person about the microphone has been quite the opposite.

They've all said "You need to speak up more and repeat what you say!" or "You need another way of announcing in addition to the microphone" etc.

And I tend to agree with them. *shrugs*

QUOTE (berger)

There was music some/most of the time quietly in the background, iirc. I think. Or maybe that was only during set up / pack up. Either way, there was some music at some points in time.
Sharks
spam over DC++ with size 72 red font.... I can usually hear though, doesn't annoy me either, sept when R4N says the game.... mad.gif
LolSauce
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Aug 18 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Ironically, the feedback I've had in person about the microphone has been quite the opposite.

They've all said "You need to speak up more and repeat what you say!" or "You need another way of announcing in addition to the microphone" etc.

QUOTE (berger)

There was music some/most of the time quietly in the background, iirc. I think. Or maybe that was only during set up / pack up. Either way, there was some music at some points in time.

I think they're talking about the official announcements... But if somebody has a parking ticket there is no need to be a dick about it in front of everyone... It has gotten better though.... I think this was the first LAN we didnt have to hear about "The Game"
Maelstrom
QUOTE (LolSauce @ Aug 18 2009, 09:08 PM) *
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Aug 18 2009, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE (berger)

I think they're talking about the official announcements... But if somebody has a parking ticket there is no need to be a dick about it in front of everyone... It has gotten better though.... I think this was the first LAN we didnt have to hear about "The Game"

It was hard to hear in the side area at least, but apparently quite clear in the main hall. Maybe some sort of live news feed on the lan website? Or if more people joined the IRC channel (or even knew what IRC was/that it was there), then announcements there could be another possibility.
Jen
But if somebody has a parking ticket there is no need to be a dick about it in front of everyone... It has gotten better though.... I think this was the first LAN we didnt have to hear about "The Game"

Guys, believe it or not the admins dont like repeating themselves. But they have to because if Latrobe turn around to us and say "Your attendee's can no longer enter the inner campus because of people flouting the rules" then your all going to have to carry your equipment a much longer way, which takes away the fun experience of respawn. That said, Make sure you obey the parking signs and the Service permit that grants you 30 minutes entry. Then you will find there will be much less "Shame on the microphone".
LolSauce
Well get some Gophers to sit outside for an hour to make sure people are moving there cars
atticus
Was also in the side area, couldn't understand a thing said on the mic...missed a few fun comps i would have liked to enter, particularly ut2k4. (was quake run?) anyway please find a way for the sound to properly reach the side room or also communicate competition/other important stuff via dc++/irc/intranet.
TF2 turned out very DIY with me and Redact running the bracket and hosting all the matches on our own boxes thanks to server issues and sleepy squids lol. I'm sure I don't need to say anything about the problems there. On the other hand, competition rules were vastly improved - thumbs up for that!
SirSquidness
How would a Twitter-esque sort of announcement system go, perhaps? </suggestion>

Have it perhaps as a news ticker on the projector, and on the main page of the intranet?

QUOTE (atticus @ Aug 18 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Was also in the side area, couldn't understand a thing said on the mic...missed a few fun comps i would have liked to enter, particularly ut2k4. (was quake run?) anyway please find a way for the sound to properly reach the side room or also communicate competition/other important stuff via dc++/irc/intranet.
TF2 turned out very DIY with me and Redact running the bracket and hosting all the matches on our own boxes thanks to server issues and sleepy squids lol. I'm sure I don't need to say anything about the problems there. On the other hand, competition rules were vastly improved - thumbs up for that!

I promise you, the server issues were out of our hand - you should have seen the HLDS/SRCDS mailing list over the weekend. Soooooo many people were having issues. The only modification the servers had were extra maps, which aren't touched unless they're loaded. I also specifically ran a vanilla server for the comp, because I knew SourceMod was having issues with the update as well (so much so that the current stable build will crash TF2/DoD:S, we were using the current dev release for the non-comp servers).

I also promise you, I wasn't sleepy, I was dead. =/

Regardless, thanks for helping out. It really is appreciated. =)
And next time I'll be awake alive to bring some smackdown on your arse in the comp (heh, I wish tongue.gif )

QUOTE (LolSauce @ Aug 18 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Well get some Gophers to sit outside for an hour to make sure people are moving there cars

I'm sure the powers above would be more than happy to promote you to honourary gopher to take over this duty tongue.gif
Genome
QUOTE (Terajiogga @ Aug 18 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Too much Microphone and love of ones voice. If people HAVEN'T paid for their pizzas, they probably aren't going to by your 30th announcements either! For my first Respawn, was pretty cool.

Lmao that was me. I was on the way back from the ATM with my money when they started announcing it, had paid by like the 20th announcement, but the guy was shouting at me too loudly to hear the other staff guy tell him I'd paid lol.

Ahhhhh so it was the recent update that buggered up the servers working? That sucks sad.gif I know the guys besides me went home before anything happened in the tf2 comp for them. I don't think gun game ran either which sucked but mainly I was unhappy about RA3 getting screwed over being the comp I'm most into. I understand it getting pushed back by the other comps that were failing, but maybe next time if the sign ups were open for ALL the comps right from the get-go (or at all), we could have a chance at getting some games ourselves like tf2 guys managed. Unfortunately there's only so many staff and I saw how tired you guys were from working hard so fair enough.

Silly people not turning up! Only to be expected having this lan so soon after the last one however, so I'm pretty confident it will go back up above 400 for the next one. Tron was awesome! Lmao I can't believe I spent such a large portion of my gaming time playing a 2mb game XD I'm pretty sure tron is a must for funcomps in the next few lans until we get sick of it tongue.gif

One other thing, trophies! Of the people who won things around me, I saw some get mini-crowbars, and others not. Everyone winner totally should get one! Very seriously I think having a whole swag of theme matched trophies makes a big difference. All those soviet ones lined up on the lecturn the whole of v12 looked awesome. Tbh, I was happier getting the soviet trophy than i was the $30. Every comp, funcomp and afk comp, gogo trophies.
jutzy
well i would have liked the players name on the id tags like respawn V12 - i didnt go but sharks did and he got his name on the tag

oh
and centercom should have been there

it seems like every one i go to centercoms not there ahha
Terajiogga
QUOTE (Jeffy @ Aug 18 2009, 09:46 PM) *
But if somebody has a parking ticket there is no need to be a dick about it in front of everyone... It has gotten better though.... I think this was the first LAN we didnt have to hear about "The Game"

Guys, believe it or not the admins dont like repeating themselves. But they have to because if Latrobe turn around to us and say "Your attendee's can no longer enter the inner campus because of people flouting the rules" then your all going to have to carry your equipment a much longer way, which takes away the fun experience of respawn. That said, Make sure you obey the parking signs and the Service permit that grants you 30 minutes entry. Then you will find there will be much less "Shame on the microphone".

It's one thing to announce the service parking permits and mention someone has been booked, and it's another to publicly humiliate the person responsible. I think you will find it was the sheer volume of Microphone announcements that got to some of us - rather than the "Official Announcements". The point of a PA System is to grab the attention of a large group. It achieves this by momentarily disrupting individuals - which is absolutely fine if the message has some substance. To harp on every 2 minutes about Pizza Orders, Connecting to a Game, asking multiple times for teams to "come up the front", it gets annoying very quickly.

If you can't get a hold of someone after the first and reminder message, you have bugger all chance getting their attention on the 5th to 10th announcement within 20 minutes. If people are half serious about tournaments, pizza ordering etc... they will be aware of the times. If they're not, then tough shit. We will all eventually get over it.
R4N
QUOTE (Terajiogga @ Aug 18 2009, 06:05 PM) *
One other thing, trophies! Of the people who won things around me, I saw some get mini-crowbars, and others not. Everyone winner totally should get one! Very seriously I think having a whole swag of theme matched trophies makes a big difference. All those soviet ones lined up on the lecturn the whole of v12 looked awesome. Tbh, I was happier getting the soviet trophy than i was the $30. Every comp, funcomp and afk comp, gogo trophies.

My bad on that one, i underestimated how many we would require. And at other times i was so tired i forgot they were even there.

Rest assured theme based trophies will be commonplace for majors and funcomps in the future smile.gif
Frookie
tank told me not to hit anyone with it:(

tass
I think annoucements + live news feed is great. Wearing headphones? Check the website\timetable!!

Dont want to check the website or listen for annoucements but still want to complain that you didn't hear anything? Too unreasonable of a request IMO. The staff cant baby you we are all old enough to fend for ourselves wink.gif

**edit: Trophies were a fantastic idea! Also the door prize was awesome too nice one wink.gif
Harkonnen
I found the amount of messages fine in comparison to other lans. The BS stuff like THE GAME pisses me off, but it's good to have communication between admins and gamers.
I would prefer hearing "UT2004 comp starting in 5 minutes" several times, then have it said only once or twice and miss out because I'm wearing headphones.

Some points.
Tron - This needs to be bigger at v14. Was great!
HAWX competition was fun to play but poorly organised. My team (the Pedo Bandits) had to masqurade under the ladder as the Big Dick Army Team, while they had to play under the name of another team. It was pretty horrible organisation. I think it was Lewis' fault.
Ut2004 - Needs to be a proper game like previous lans instead of a random funcomp imo. People should be able to sign up and see exactly when its going to be on. I missed out on this one and was not happy.
More themeing! Personalized nametags are fantastic, but I dont expect admins to painstakingly do this anymore tongue.gif The QUARANTINE Respawn (v11?) was absolutely fantastic, walking in and seeing ripped sheeting with bloody handprints covering the entire hall. Theme decorations and themed trophies are absolutely brilliant and really charge the atmosphere. I might even costume along if it's something I can do without too much money or discomfit.
Midnight BBQ - As per usual, but still great. Leave as is. If you could include hamburgers as well as sausages that would be cool.
Network Problems/Uptime - I couldn't connect to the Ut3 comp with my legit steam version, which sucked donkey balls. I got in at the last minute using a cracked version which is just ridiculous. However I think this was the game and not a network issue. I had no network problems this lan, (almost a first) but with only 300 users I think was to be expected.
R4N
QUOTE (Harkonnen @ Aug 19 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Ut2004 - Needs to be a proper game like previous lans instead of a random funcomp imo. People should be able to sign up and see exactly when its going to be on. I missed out on this one and was not happy.

Ive got no problem with that smile.gif
Next time expect it to be on the EMS

Network Problems/Uptime - I couldn't connect to the Ut3 comp with my legit steam version, which sucked donkey balls. I got in at the last minute using a cracked version which is just ridiculous. However I think this was the game and not a network issue. I had no network problems this lan, (almost a first) but with only 300 users I think was to be expected.

Yeh i have legit steam UT3 and the person who ended up hosting the listen server had it as well... this is an issue we have been trying to resolve for quite a while now, hopefully we can iron out the bugs by next lan.. sad.gif
Sando
More themeing! Personalized nametags are fantastic, but I dont expect admins to painstakingly do this anymore tongue.gif

We were planning on having personalised name tags but just had no time, sorry! sad.gif Hopefully they'll make a return this event.
SirSquidness

I could bore you by recounting the amount of hours I have spent trying to get UT3 dedicated server to work properly on LAN, but that would be a waste of my time.

There is something seriously flawed about it's net code.

During testing, we'd have the server running. The testers would all open UT3, try and join. Half could join. We'd have a few kills, quit, open UT3 again, no one could join. Repeat a few times with the same sort of results.

But as R4N said, we're trying to fix it =(
Jen
Midnight BBQ - As per usual, but still great. Leave as is. If you could include hamburgers as well as sausages that would be cool.

I will suggest this to Tank (Leader of AFK/Food/CheckIns) - Not a bad suggestion. smile.gif smile.gif
ihasaflavur
i too had an awesome first respawn. and am also looking forward to the next.
[had to change my account... the other one had aids]

hear hear about the feedback from mic... BLEH

**edit** maybe something vegetarian in the BBQ? i know i'm not the only one.
djdamon
yer prizes were pretty lame i won in tron and got a 10 year old fan that centrecom was going to throw out lol
LolSauce
QUOTE (djdamon @ Aug 20 2009, 05:49 PM) *
yer prizes were pretty lame i won in tron and got a 10 year old fan that centrecom was going to throw out lol

Centrecom didn't supply any prizes.
Harkonnen
QUOTE (ihasaflavur @ Aug 20 2009, 05:45 PM) *

You are the only one.
Frookie
was tron planned to run?
LolSauce
Yeah, for about a week
R4N

Prizes were in short supply this LAN unfortunately tongue.gif
Harkonnen
QUOTE (R4N @ Aug 20 2009, 09:47 PM) *

Door prize was pretty kickass though
Frookie
but i got a crowbar!
djdamon
QUOTE (R4N @ Aug 20 2009, 09:47 PM) *

na its alright R4N you guys did a great job i dont really care bout the prizes to much
just needs better themes
whens the next LAN R4N?????????

PS. slot me lol
ihasaflavur
QUOTE (Harkonnen @ Aug 20 2009, 06:07 PM) *

You are the only one.

LIES!!
Tank
QUOTE (Kommander_Kale @ Aug 19 2009, 02:51 AM) *

Thanks! the laser cut metal trophies will be back! we thought for black mesa an actual crowbar would be a bit cooler! but it's great to hear people love the trophies!

QUOTE (xevious @ Aug 19 2009, 11:27 AM) *
well i would have liked the players name on the id tags like respawn V12 - i didnt go but sharks did and he got his name on the tag

This is my bad sad.gif i usually have time to do custom tags, but for about 10 days prior to the event, (and during!) i was working between 12 and 14 hour days smile.gif so unfortunately time just ran out!

QUOTE (Frookie @ Aug 19 2009, 06:48 PM) *
tank told me not to hit anyone with it:(

correct laugh.gif

More themeing! Personalized nametags are fantastic, but I dont expect admins to painstakingly do this anymore tongue.gif The QUARANTINE Respawn (v11?) was absolutely fantastic, walking in and seeing ripped sheeting with bloody handprints covering the entire hall. Theme decorations and themed trophies are absolutely brilliant and really charge the atmosphere. I might even costume along if it's something I can do without too much money or discomfit.

as above, with this event i think we all just ran out of time and energy at the end sad.gif

hamburgers *are* a bit more messy to cook, but if there is demand, i will look into it tongue.gif

two events ago i did a large poll (100 players) and there was no takers on a vegetarian option, if you are vgetarian, from now on, it would be great if you could let me know at check-ins! that way i KNOW for sure to get some veggie burgers when we go for sausages smile.gif
Harkonnen

You are the only one.

QUOTE (ihasaflavur @ Aug 21 2009, 05:56 PM) *
LIES!!

QUOTE (Tank @ Aug 23 2009, 11:05 PM) *
two events ago i did a large poll (100 players) and there was no takers on a vegetarian option

SCIENCE WINS ALWAYS!
ihasaflavur
QUOTE (Harkonnen @ Aug 23 2009, 11:36 PM) *

You are the only one.

QUOTE (ihasaflavur @ Aug 21 2009, 05:56 PM) *
LIES!!

QUOTE (Tank @ Aug 23 2009, 11:05 PM) *
two events ago i did a large poll (100 players) and there was no takers on a vegetarian option

SCIENCE WINS ALWAYS!

was not there two events ago! v.13 was my first! biggrin.gif
'no takers on a vegetarian option' does not mean there were none there, they may not have wanted anything at the time.
will you have a nametag at v.14 tank? so i don't make too much of an ass of myself...

and i never doubted the powuh of science. XD
Harkonnen
QUOTE (ihasaflavur @ Aug 24 2009, 01:19 PM) *
was not there two events ago! v.13 was my first! biggrin.gif

Exactly; you are the only vegetarian so far to attend respawn. Go on. There's no shame in admitting it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape