Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: core I7........worth it???
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
gods left hand
ive got an outdated P4 on a 945 chipset and have the money to seriosly upgrade.......could anyone give me a reason not to go for the new core I7 (tripple channel ram, SLI, the whole works) or any reviews and info....thanks
TMM
no, it's overpriced atm for what it is.

get a Core2
XECUTER
Cant imagine why u wud need to go past the core 2 extremes for atleast a year
oohms
If you want the best, or if you're going sli straight off the bat, i7 is the way to go.

But if you're going single video card and/or for decent value for money i would stick with core 2 duo/quad
MiniWalks
i7 is still not proven imo, i would still go with 775 Core2 DUO/QUAD

from what i have heard and understand, the i7 has an onchip memory controllor, like the AMD of the past, issue being that the voltage level can't be bumped too much higher than stock, and there isnt much 1.5v DDR3, which in turn limits the amount of overclocking that would be possible for the core

im willing to be proven wrong, but this is my current understanding
R4N
while true, people are still pushing i7's beyond 4ghz

But my main reason for not moving to i7 straight away is the same reason i didnt buy a Q6600 when they were $800
Price drop incoming smile.gif

R4N
oohms
1.65v is the highest recommended ram voltage by intel... but you can go above that if you increase the core and mem controller voltages too. Current 1333 ram is good enough for good bandwidth + overclocks or you can get 1.65v rated ddr2000 (2133 soon too)..

I really wish i could afford to play with i7 ohmy.gif
Vortex Vandel
Hmm I'm waiting for 6 cores of joy. The pros are too few at the moment. the hyper threadding reimplimentation seems nice but the speed diffrence between the quads and i7's of the same price range and stock setup to me dosn't justify the outlay. My q6600 un overclocked is still don't 95% of every thing for me. when I over clock it to ~3ghz it usually adds another 4% onto that as well smile.gif so for me the cost is pointless for the rewards. if an i7 cpu becomes $~200 I might look at it as an upgrade option but not when ddr2 is so cheap at the moment. having 8gb of ddr3 will be a tad costly for the diffrence in performance.I wonder what the cost of a core 2 quad xeon is? they have hyper threadding in them if people just want that.
MiniWalks
I like my 8GB DDR3 thanks tongue.gif but no, im Skt 775 biggrin.gif
R4N
Q6600 was key
too bad its discontinued tongue.gif
MiniWalks
yeah, i would have considered one of those, but they were discontinued when i built my new rig, so i went with the Q9550 biggrin.gif
XoNiKz
Just get a cheapish dual core 775

E8400
9800GT
4GB of 1066 or 800 RAM
750GB HDD
Cheapish P45 mobo
and there you go biggrin.gif

Then wait 1-2 years and get a i7 and use the 775 as a torrent box smile.gif
savage
QUOTE (R4N @ Jan 6 2009, 03:06 PM) *
Q6600 was key
too bad its discontinued tongue.gif

why the q6600 so god like ?

Anarchy RD
the q6600 is so godlike because i own one? biggrin.gif
haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape