Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: building a new system
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
Shub0xx
Am curious. Do I go and build something along the lines of this.... http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/produc...oducts_id=51348

Or do I wait for new socket 2011?
The Mike
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Jul 18 2011, 04:00 PM) *
Am curious. Do I go and build something along the lines of this.... http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/produc...oducts_id=51348

Or do I wait for new socket 2011?

I think it may be better to wait a few months. From what i've heard you will need a new compatible motherboard when you buy the new chipset. If your desperate then do it.
DArenberg
Wait if you want to pay premium dollars for the latest gear, I'm running with the 2600k upgrade now will do me a few years. There is always something new around the corner.
R4N
I always stick a generation behind the 8 ball. So much cheaper that way. Planning an upgrade to sandy soonish smile.gif
Shub0xx
QUOTE (R4N @ Jul 20 2011, 07:17 PM) *
I always stick a generation behind the 8 ball. So much cheaper that way. Planning an upgrade to sandy soonish smile.gif

Yea, that's true. should last a couple years at least.
Shub0xx
Starting buying for upgrade yesterday. 2 x 64gb ssd and 4 x 2tb. Getting the rest next week. still trying to decide what case to get. I like the Armor+ cases, but they are too big for the space I currently have.

I was looking at the Tt Chaser Mk 1, but am happy to take on suggestions. I'm looking for a minimum of 5 visible bays, at least 5 hidden, with support for ssd mounting, and room to fit a gtx 570.
Shub0xx
Yay, all my new parts arrived today. over $2k hehe. time to start building.
Shub0xx
Now I'm really pissed. I get all my parts home and start setting things up. Usually I test things before I put them into my case, but because I had a new case this time, I jumped ahead and put everything in before testing.

The good thing about the Maximus IV Extreme Z is it gives you debug codes on the board. The bad thing in my case is it's telling me that it's not detecting memory. I tried older RAM modules from my current build, with the same result.

2 days old, and already the board is RMA. Well it will be once I finally get a hold of someone in tech support at centrecom tomorrow.

priorax
Have you tried:
1- Testing the RAM in a different motherboard?
2- Trying just a single stick of RAM?
Shub0xx
QUOTE (priorax @ Jul 31 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Have you tried:

yup. new ram runs in my current build, and current ram (also ddr3) isn't detected in new build.
Shub0xx
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Jul 31 2011, 10:34 PM) *
QUOTE (priorax @ Jul 31 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Have you tried:

yup. new ram runs in my current build, and current ram (also ddr3) isn't detected in new build.

turns out there was a cpu issue. All sorted now. I hope.
R4N
Wow... CPU failure... that is pretty damn rare!
Shub0xx
QUOTE (R4N @ Aug 6 2011, 05:00 PM) *
Wow... CPU failure... that is pretty damn rare!

Yea, well there was other issues too, but they were human error haha. And now that all data is copied across, I can start sorting shit out.
iMODZ_Sniper
Honestly I think you should build something better than that, if you're planning to just game, only get around 6GB because you won't really need 8GB+ unless you are hosting servers
Shub0xx
QUOTE (iMODZ_Sniper @ Aug 30 2011, 10:51 AM) *
Honestly I think you should build something better than that, if you're planning to just game, only get around 6GB because you won't really need 8GB+ unless you are hosting servers

Will be running virtual machines etc, hence why running 16gb DDR3, and 4 x 2tb drives.
uncledolan
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Aug 30 2011, 02:23 PM) *

Will be running virtual machines etc, hence why running 16gb DDR3, and 4 x 2tb drives.

VM's will run sufficiently with around 256MB RAM and 2x1.4GB HDD's. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents (I am a professional after all).
soulink
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Aug 30 2011, 01:23 PM) *

What kinds of VM's u gonna run? MS server 08/11, ESXi to manage them? or just general VM's of workstations' EG: Mac, windows, linux?
Shub0xx
QUOTE (soulink @ Sep 8 2011, 04:38 PM) *
QUOTE (Shub0xx @ Aug 30 2011, 01:23 PM) *

What kinds of VM's u gonna run? MS server 08/11, ESXi to manage them? or just general VM's of workstations' EG: Mac, windows, linux?

Not sure yet. Definitely a few 08 servers, a couple win 7 installs, the rest I don't know yet. Only using 1 of the 2tb drives for vm's, the rest for storage and games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape