Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strategy Games @ Respawn
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Gaming
Bitcrusher
I reckon we need more strategy games at respawn something like CC generals zero hour (was a sick game in the good old days) Dawn of war soul storm and a few others..... Name a few that you like? biggrin.gif
The Mike
QUOTE (Bitcrusher @ Jul 11 2011, 02:32 PM) *
I reckon we need more strategy games at respawn something like CC generals zero hour (was a sick game in the good old days) Dawn of war soul storm and a few others..... Name a few that you like? biggrin.gif

Age of empire's 3?
Kitfox
Whilst i would be all for broadcasting/playing these i believe that the main issue would be the overlapping of competitions and players who are in multiple comps would cause severe delays.
Tibor
I think how the time table works it kinda rules out most strat games. Plus if you have a decent amount of people in a comp it tends to take up the entire LAN, since games can last quite a while.

Also just cos theres not comps doesnt mean you cant play it. The group i was sitting with played zerohour/supreme commander/AOE3. Always spammed in chat got no interest from anyone else really.
That Commander
You may have better success if you go up to the Admin desk and ask them nicely to make an announcement. Perhaps also announce the intention to play "x" game on this forum so people know they will need to have it installed at the next lan.

Cheers
Jen
Aw man I haven't played generals in AGES! If memory serves the netcode for it is terrible and when you get a lot of people (especially if someone is playing a chinese general with tonnes of units) it glitches like uber bad.

Is still fun though, especially when you get evenly matched opponents and it goes on for ours... one game we had to stop for a dinner break because we gamed for 12~hrs
tricky
QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jul 13 2011, 07:30 PM) *
Aw man I haven't played generals in AGES! If memory serves the netcode for it is terrible and when you get a lot of people (especially if someone is playing a chinese general with tonnes of units) it glitches like uber bad.

Is that before or after it disconnects saying player data mismatch lol? Mate and i used to play 2v6 against bots on hard and rape them good smile.gif
Tibor
Yeah it gets glitchy and its nots very well balanced. The only way we havent had issues we data mismatch is to install from the same source. Tried a whole range of different images/patches/updates.

Glasseater
time shouldnt be a big issue i mean ya just have 30 min game caps warcraft 3 never had an issue apart from clashes the fps seems to take up all the time now and war3 also lost a lot of interest last time they ran starcraft most of my games went for like 15 minutes. I think they need a put a strat game earlier on the sat and see how we go for numbers starcraft hasnt ran the last 2 lans even tho a number of ppl signed up for it. I mean the 9am time would be fine if it actually ran. Hell even just have it running all night inbetween games when ppl can fit there games in
Catherine
Starcraft 2!
R4N
Would LOVE to run a generals tourney if it wasnt for the horrible net code.
Maybe Kanes Wrath/CNC3? That is much less prone to issues.

We ran TA once which was quite fun.

Maybe i'll throw a poll up on this thread and see exactly what strategy games you guys would prefer.
In terms of running one, i dont see a "huge" issue. As with any competition you have to make a choice between games smile.gif
Prim
totally up for TA, and zero hour (if it works)

starcraft 2 also nice (if it works)

civilization 5 definately (can't get it to work, any help much appreciated)

otherwise yeah, definately many many more strategy games. fps is only fun for a few hours (between all of them combined)
RyuFromStreetFighter
Frozen Synapse.
von_noobie
How about Sins?? (Sins of a solar empire)... Decent space strategy game, and got a not to bad Battlestar Galactica mod for it too .. Plenty of fun
ThirtySix45
if we can get say 4 people to play sins that would be great. count me in.

Also Supcom 1 would rock.

Homeworld 2?
jangbanger
AOE2!
Prim
i'll go sins looked fun tho never played it properly and would need help smile.gif
Prim
can't believe i forgot this one, Heroes of Might and Magic (3 or 5?)

Or if someone can make it happen, dwarf fortress! biggrin.gif
Jen
I've been playing alot of SC2 at work... (on the work laptop and the work network)
That Commander
It's been a long time since I played Total Annihilation. Will everyone just play with the standard 3.1 patch?
4luk
What about some battle for middle earth 2 guys???
DaCraw
For those with the time, Defcon and Sins of a Solar Empire are both amazing games for a lan.
Defcon is based on an internal timer, and so will take the longest unless high speed options are selected at the start.
Sins has various maps, where the smallest can be resolved in 15-30mins (less, if the stars align for one player) while the largest could last a full night (with little respite).
Both would make for an interesting lan.
the007killer
i cant remember the name, but microsoft released a stratergy game ages ago, i think it was called crush kill destroy or something like that, its been like 10 years since ive even played that game...
That Commander
I believe you are referring to Krush Kill n Destroy, made by a Melbourne based company tongue.gif

Antycore and I have been wanting to play that multiplayer for ages, but we never got around to it - been so long I have forgotten why. It was a pretty awesome game but eventually I gave up about level 5 because the AI was too damn hard. sad.gif

Just beware that KKND a DOS game (sequels are not), so won't run on Vista and above without DOSBox.

Cheers
Eggy
Watta bout Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Sins of a solar empire
ToMzY
AOE2 or SC2
Eggy
im up for that
R4N
Sorry Eggy, never played them. However, i'm sure many have so you'll have no issue getting a game running smile.gif
Eggy
sweeet biggrin.gif
Genoxell
WHich TD map would the War3 TD tourny be?
Eggy
dw mate ill play with ya and im sure others will too. We can have massive fleet battles
Chill_Penguin
DUNE 2000! so full of win. I miss using fremen and imperial sardaukar :/
Zardoz
Lets do some starcraft II at our next one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape