Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To buy the beast? Or not to buy?
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
fISHiE
Try not to flamewar and/or Troll tongue.gif
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600K

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 Motherboard

Corsair CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

3x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX

Gigabyte Radeon HD6990 4GB

Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive

Corsair Obsidian 650D Case

Corsair AX850 Gold Power Supply

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL: $3000-ish
MetaSynapse
It'll do the job, you could probably get it cheaper though.
For reference, almost those exact same parts cost around $2800 including shipping from PC Case Gear.

CPU: I'd advise going for the 2500K, all the 2600K has over it is HyperThreading, which is not at all useful for gaming. Unless you intend to do video encoding etc, save yourself the extra $100.

Cooler: The ThermalRight Silver Arrow performs almost identically (in some cases better) and is $20 cheaper. Otherwise consider the Corsair H60, or even stepping up to a Swiftech or XSPC watercooling kit (which you can partly buy with the $100 I save you earlier tongue.gif)

Motherboard is overkill, unless you plan on running CrossFire/SLi down the track (so I guess it's reasonable). Even still, the only way you'd need 16x16 is with dual 6990s or GTX590s. I would personally recommend the UD4.

RAM: Get 2x 4GB sticks rather than 4x 2GB sticks, leaves room for upgrades (and big coolers!). For example, these G.Skill Ripjaws. Also there's SFA difference between RAM speeds/latency in real world usage. Sure, your benchmarks might tell you otherwise, but I noticed absolutely no difference going from 1333CL9 to 1600CL8 (which is a double upgrade, higher clocks and lower latency).

SSD: Good choice, no further comments.

HDDs: ANYTHING but WD tongue.gif I'm assuming you plan to run them in RAID0?

GPU: I would suggest the GTX 590, it's slightly faster and noticeably quieter, for roughly the same price.

ODD: Looks good, I've got the same one biggrin.gif

Case: Yep, Corsair cases are great, especially for cable management.

PSU: I would highly recommend the SilverStone Strider Plus 850W. Fully modular, only just shy of 80+ Gold, and ~$75 cheaper. And it's great quality (I've got one too).

Also do you already have a copy of 64-bit Windows? Preferably Win7? tongue.gif You'll need 64-bit to take advantage of all that RAM. Expect to pay around $100 for it.

Finally, you didn't actually mention if you were building it yourself or not tongue.gif since most retailers don't offer prices that reasonable, I'm guessing you are? If you're anywhere north-east if Melbourne I can either help out or build the whole thing for you, I'm quite reasonable when it comes to prices, and I can handle any warranty claims.

Cheers,
Rory.
fISHiE
Thanks for the reply,

That is a pccase cart lol but whatever prices change all the time.

I want the i7 due to the bigger cache and yes i do alot of video converting, merging and audio/subtitle stuffs because i love anime/foreign film that i stream to my tv.

With the cooler i just added one for a price estimate im not super over-clocking it (Just 4.0ghz - 4.8ghz when i do my research on stable OC's), i really just need something slightley better than the stock cooler just to be safe. happy.gif

With the motherboard i have always been stingy on them so im getting a really good one that has what i need/want eg: 4x SATA3, 16x/16x Pcie, 6 USB 3.0 and duel Gig Smart Lan etc.

I'm still debating on graphics cards but yes i want 2x 6990/590. Noise isn't a problem and i know both cards are really good with mixed reviews both cards have some games where they do up to 50% better FPS than the other card so it will come down to what i want to spend and what has a cooler pic on it.

RAM, I know that i dont need more than 8gb and its just a bias but i like the corsair ones.

PSU, still looking.

I must have some super lucky charm or something because i have had all different brands of hardware and NOTHING has ever gone wrong.... unlike my house mates *cough* LOL!. Probably not going to raid at all because its all just storage for mainly video files and all installed programs and games will be on the SSD so raid is not needed.

I'm an IT Consultant/Technician so i am right with building it smile.gif

It might be overkill because ill probably upgrade when the new socket 2011 comes out with all the next gen stuffs on it but not expecting it to all be tougher for a while. My other choice is to update my rig now and all i need is new Hdd/SSD and a graphics card and my pc should last another year.
priorax
WD are fine from my experience, I have just heard from a fellow Respawner (tacticus) that the green drives have 8 second seek speed (from memory thats what he said), so I would advise against their green range.

If you want 2x4gb sticks that are Corsair, here are the ones I am looking at for my next rig
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15938
For $4 more you can get these, have slightly better timings and a different heat sink.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16437
fISHiE
QUOTE (priorax @ Jul 8 2011, 04:01 AM) *
WD are fine from my experience, I have just heard from a fellow Respawner (tacticus) that the green drives have 8 second seek speed (from memory thats what he said), so I would advise against their green range.

Yea but its all going to be storage that's it, speed doesn't matter when its only video files im running some Seagate sata2 16mb and movies like LOTR ROTK Extended Edison 1080p opens in half a second so theres no problem. same with installing an iso yea it may take a bit longer but when its done its done.

Non Greens are perfect for storage unless your doing any type of raid thats when you want a Black or RE4.

All the files that require speed will be on the SSD.
priorax
Sorry, I was wrong, it's an 8 second idle speed, this leads to a lot of stop/starts, which in turn leads to a shorter life time.
fISHiE
QUOTE (priorax @ Jul 8 2011, 12:31 PM) *
Sorry, I was wrong, it's an 8 second idle speed, this leads to a lot of stop/starts, which in turn leads to a shorter life time.

Is this the normal Greens or the new Intellipower ones?

I have had a non Intellipower 1.5tb green for 2 years now with no problems i usually turn all power settings to "NEVER".

All that aside they have a 3year warranty so i can just get a replacement and all important data has a backup elsewhere.
SirSquidness
QUOTE (MetaSynapse @ Jul 7 2011, 02:30 PM) *

Please provide evidence for your extreme bias against WD in particular.
GLaDOS
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jul 11 2011, 03:39 PM) *
QUOTE (MetaSynapse @ Jul 7 2011, 02:30 PM) *

Please provide evidence for your extreme bias against WD in particular.

Their 4k sectors like to cause issues with some raid arrays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape