Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Permission error
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
SnipersDream
I've been having trouble with files on my PC, when i want to move them to another hardrive, or another location on the same hardrive, it asks for permission, i click continue(granting permission) and just as it starts to copy/move, says i do not have permission to move file/folder, i will be rewarding 2 300ml Mother cans at next respawn to whoever can fix it.

thanks in advance!

Im also looking for an nvidia geforce 8800GT (pics please) name price, and if it works
SirSquidness
I'm hoping you're using a pro/business/ultimate edition of Windows; I'm pretty sure the options are different on home.

On the destination drive, right click, properties. Go to the security tab. Make sure your username is in the list, with "Full access".
If not, click "Advanced", then "Change permissions". On the box that pops up, select "Add". Type in your username, click ok. On the list, highlight your username and select "Edit". Make sure "Full access" is ticked, click ok. Check the "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object". Click ok a few times, and wait for it to finish.
Jen
Squid speaks the truth, I have that issue every time I used to do a clean build of my now file server (When it was my gaming/lan box). I'd have to fix all of the permissions on the folders. Thats exactly how I did it.
SnipersDream
Thanks sir.squidness, but ive tried doing that, no hope in hell, its asif the file has someone elses permission Binded to it :/ its on the hardrive in the PC im taking to respawn, so yeah, if u guys can fix the prob for my files, 2 free mother cans (remember, if two people help me, its not 2 cans each, just 2 cans giving away) well appreciate the help bro smile.gif

also yeah, win 7 ultimate wink.gif
phrostyboi
have you tried taking ownership of it or the folder above it?

sometimes this works if simply adding permissions doesn't or can't be done
priorax
Kinda offtopic, kinda on topic. I picked up this tool at a Respawn a few LANs ago (probably v15 looking at last edit date). Basically all it does is add/remove registry values that I find somewhat useful. One of which is "Add "Take Ownership" to context menu". The only time this hasn't worked for me, is when I was trying to delete something that was too long for Windows to deal with it. In which case I just booted into an Ubuntu live CD and deleted it there.

Link: http://dft.ba/-xaE
SirSquidness
To take ownership, follow the same bits I mentioned in my last post, but instead of going to "Change Permissions", go to the "Owner" tab at the top, click "Edit", pick your user, make sure to select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", and click Ok a few times.
SnipersDream
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jun 19 2011, 04:31 PM) *
To take ownership, follow the same bits I mentioned in my last post, but instead of going to "Change Permissions", go to the "Owner" tab at the top, click "Edit", pick your user, make sure to select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", and click Ok a few times.

yea, i had My bro to take a look at it, i think my hardrive is actually corrupt, and that means warranty :/
new 2TB if this keeps on screwing around with me sad.gif
SirSquidness
If your hard drive is corrupt, you should see NTFS or Disk errors in System log.

Right click My Computer -> Manage -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System
Look for any entries with a red error symbol that relate to hard drives or file systems in some manner.
soulink
yeh i had a look at his pc for him, im his bro smile.gif, made sure permissions on target and origin folder both had full access for his user aswell as the EVERYONE user, also reset of child objects and took ownership. Im going to get him to boot a hirens mini windows and reset all ntfs file permissions and attributs tonight, if not i think his drive is actually faulty, Another issue he has is that he has the 2TB drive partioned into 3 Partitioned, i strongly think he should change back to a single large partition as the AF WD drives seem to get a bit funny when u partition them heaps. So we will see how we go smile.gif If all else failes i recommend a reinstall of Windows 7 (cuase its full of shit lols) and i will do a full repartition for him and that will now fail smile.gif

And i want those cans tongue.gif lol tongue.gif
Jen
A faulty drive doesn't give off NTFS permissions errors, it gives much worse.

If the disk is corrupt or faulty? Have you run a surface scan in safe mode (the reason I say safe mode is its less likely to interrupt the scan by something trying to open files). Like SirSquid said, the log would be full of potential red flags.

Have you tried logging in as the "administrator" account and manually flushed/reset all the NTFS permissions?
oohms
chkdsk /f
soulink
QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jun 29 2011, 10:27 PM) *
Have you tried logging in as the "administrator" account and manually flushed/reset all the NTFS permissions?

hirens boot, mini windows xp, reset ntfs permisions in CMD...i did say this allready smile.gif
Jen
QUOTE (soulink @ Jul 4 2011, 10:06 AM) *
QUOTE (Jeffy @ Jun 29 2011, 10:27 PM) *

hirens boot, mini windows xp, reset ntfs permisions in CMD...i did say this allready smile.gif

I know, I can read. That said your getting WinXP to reset NTFS permissions for WIN7, without ever having to do this myself I'm unclear if this will solve the problem or bring out more problems.

The administrator account is built in for exactly this purpose. So you don't have to use 3rd party programs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape