Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minecraft at Respawn
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
orbit
Hi Guys,

What did you guys think of minecraft at respawn v19? I realise that there were heaps of issues with the server going down and some people not being able to play due to a "/kill" glitch.
As Notch sorts out his game things will get better and the game with (hopfully) become more stable.

Do you think it is worth having a minecraft server at respawn hosted by the admin team (probibly on one of the more powerful servers) or should we just leave the servers up to the players?
I have been playing around with Hey0's server mod and i'll be hosting an internet Minecraft server of my own to get used to how it all works and to try and avoid any furthur issues next respawn (if we run another minecraft server that is).

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to running a Minecraft server? What do you want to see for the next one?

Respawn v19 we had some issues with a few griefers that really upset some players. It was never stated anywhere that griefing wasnt allowed however i thought it was implied. I will be sure to be a bit more specific next time to avoid this sort of thing happening in the future. What rules should we have set up?

Also i just wanted to give a shout out to the winners of the previous "Build something cool Minecraft Fun comp":
zeblackeagle
Theranteen
Sandwidch91
DarkNexus

I really couldnt decide on just one winner this time around, there was just too much awesome going on. I will be posting screenshots of what they managed to build during V19 soon.
Maelstrom
I've been in a Minecraft lull lately, there was an Australian based server that I used to frequent that has been down for a few weeks now. But when you get used to the server mods, and realise that it's people like Hey0 making SMP playable, it's hard to play on the vanilla server. Have a look at hmod, and the different plugins for it, definitely worthwhile.

I'd be all for a Respawn Minecraft server too, but those things chew through downloads, and are bandwidth-intensive. Notch really needs to get his act together.

Don't forget the pics orbit!

PS - http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.ph...014&t=24510 <-- The other MC server I go on, the aussie one. It's been down for a while, but hopefully should be up again in the next few days.
Jen
I did have one hosted for Orbitoid. but I think it fell over.

I can fire it back up, but you'd need to get Orbit to reconfigure/confirm it.
Lord Infamous
I play on the Something awful TCC sub forum server.
Prim
With a name like 'Block party' for respawn 20, minecraft is a definate must smile.gif
SLoV
QUOTE (Prim @ Mar 4 2011, 11:02 AM) *
With a name like 'Block party' for respawn 20, minecraft is a definate must smile.gif

im happy to slap together a server dedicated for mine craft ,

just need to know how far i need to go on parts specs side of it !! lol

i got a spare e8500 when i upgrade my server cpu, and just buy parts here and there

could prob host it at home too dont download much of late!

some one will have to set it up tho, only good at playing it not hosting it, altho last time i hosted it at mates place was not to hard biggrin.gif
Guni
I could host one, i have all the mods and programs but im a tad bit lazy sooo -.-
SLoV
QUOTE (Guni @ Mar 6 2011, 08:44 PM) *
I could host one, i have all the mods and programs but im a tad bit lazy sooo -.-

dont be lazy, ill buy u a donut if your not lazy biggrin.gif
orbit
Sorry for the image heavy post guys. I finally delivered!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This isnt all of the pics but i cannot find any more of them now.
orbit
oh yeah and an honerable mention to this guy. He wasnt in our server but he made some very cool stuff. It looks like he used server commands (like get tongue.gif) to get the materials that he needed. Still very cool none the less.
Click to view attachment
orbit
Now that i have all of that out of the way. What do you guys think about getting a Respawn Minecraft server up and running? Now that Minecraft is in Beta is seems to be a little bit more stable (for now) so we might be able to get some mods in it too if you want them.

We will just need to get someone to agree to let us use some resources on a computer that wont be going offline any time soon. I would use my VPS for it but it only has 512MB of RAM.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to donate say 2GB of RAM, some CPU time and around 10GB a month worth of bandwidth on a server somewhere? or maybe we can get a donation thing happening and rent one out in the name of Respawn?
SLoV
im happy to donate a spare e8500 to the casue smile.gif can clock up to 4.2 ghz on water if that helps smile.gif got some spare hdds too, if anyone can donate a small case and psu, ill hun around for a matx mobo or something to run it smile.gif
SLoV
i just got another mad idea !!! what about if, i bring my projector, and have a live stream of the map all lan ? ? ? ? ? ? ?yea yea yea ? well yea ?but how do u stream at lan ? lol
Jen
Orbit: ask deadman to host it on his v-centre
orbit
QUOTE (SLoV @ Mar 9 2011, 04:31 PM) *
i just got another mad idea !!! what about if, i bring my projector, and have a live stream of the map all lan ? ? ? ? ? ? ?yea yea yea ? well yea ?but how do u stream at lan ? lol

We could have a live map being generated and put up on the big projector up the front if we are allowed. I see space issues arrising if you bring your own projector. It might be ok you would just have to ask the right people.

I havent tried it yet but I'm thinking of using this to generate a map for us:
http://www.minecraftam.com/About.aspx

Does anyone else have a better suggestion for generating a real time map that we can display to everyone? maybe if we can get it embedded in a website that would be ideal so we can just tell people the link and they can look at the map up close for themselves?
SLoV
bringing a projector shouldnt be a problem i have brought it in the past and set it up on the annex
orbit
Cool, if the admins are ok with it then bring it along and i'll see if i can get this map mod working. Maybe we could put other things on it as well?

Does anyone else know of/use a better Live map generator for Minecraft?
SLoV
ive got an amd 3 core 2.8 ghz 4 gig ram etc mini comp we can use as the server now too smile.gif
orbit
QUOTE (SLoV @ Mar 13 2011, 12:55 PM) *
ive got an amd 3 core 2.8 ghz 4 gig ram etc mini comp we can use as the server now too smile.gif

The main thing i was looking for was a server with an internet connection to use when not at respawn. There is no short of powerful comptuers we can use at Respawn but when we take the server down it would be nice to be able to keep it running online so everyone can join it and build on things while at home.
SLoV
QUOTE (orbit @ Mar 13 2011, 08:17 PM) *
QUOTE (SLoV @ Mar 13 2011, 12:55 PM) *

The main thing i was looking for was a server with an internet connection to use when not at respawn. There is no short of powerful comptuers we can use at Respawn but when we take the server down it would be nice to be able to keep it running online so everyone can join it and build on things while at home.

well thats why i said before im happy to host it on my cable connection if it will be fast enough for it !

or just have a dedicated respawn lan minecraft and dedicated respawn interwebs one

or i happy just to pay $25 a month to get it hosted tongue.gif lol

http://site.moltenhosting.net.au/?q=node/38
SLoV
there is wolfs now in the game smile.gif
Lord Infamous
What server do most people here play on?
Jen
Get a VPS from say ventraip or similar and host it there... split the cost makes it cheap.
Lord Infamous
Willing to put in for server costs.
Lord Infamous
So long as I get money, power and/or women from it.
orbit
Slov and I have paid for a months worth of the Elite VPS from virpus(in the US)
With the 2.5GB of ram and 3TB of data per month we should be able to handle at least 25-30 people on the server at once.

The only issue at the moment is that i cant get the server up and running yet. It will run fine for the first few mins and then it will just simply crash without any explaination as to what happened. It is running Linux (Ubuntu) which i have set up a minecraft server on before (currently running a test minecraft server on mc.orbitoid.net). I think it has something to do with the version of Java that was installed. Anyway thats my issue to sort out.
Once the server is up and running I will post back in here with an address for you all to connect to and we can start testing it to see if it will be suitable.

Oh and as a side note we will be running bukkit on this server with a mod called Big Brother. This will enable us to undo any changes any griefers make to the server. We will also be using a whitelist to ensure that we know who will be connecting to the server. Obviously we wont be able to do any of this until the server is up and running properly.

I was thinking of trying to keep the server as close to the unmodded game as possible. What are your thoughts? Would you prefer mods or just the un-modified Minecraft experience?
Lord Infamous
Un modded, un big brothered. Just protect all the cool shit that gets made and hide your treasurez.

Survival is the best kind of Minecraft experience, raiding and looting other peoples houses to steal their riches and shit
orbit
Gah it turns out that Virpus doesnt allow any Java to be run on their VPSs. I think you can do it but you have to pay an extra $5 a month or something. I cant believe how long i spent trying to fix that before i realised what the issue was.
Anyway any other suggestions for hosts? preferably in Australia, 2.5GB of RAM would be ideal and hopefully around the $30 per month mark.
Lord Infamous
im willing to chip in for the costs if you wanna go balls out?
Jen
QUOTE (orbit @ May 3 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Gah it turns out that Virpus doesnt allow any Java to be run on their VPSs. I think you can do it but you have to pay an extra $5 a month or something. I cant believe how long i spent trying to fix that before i realised what the issue was.
Anyway any other suggestions for hosts? preferably in Australia, 2.5GB of RAM would be ideal and hopefully around the $30 per month mark.

For that cheap you won't get anything that well specced.

Jumba will give you 1gb for $30/mth
Outside of that, AU hosting is expensive currently.
orbit
Lets at least test what we have already paid for:

Server name: mc.orbitoid.net
Mods currently running: none
Player limit: 30

Join and test it out. try to make it lag as much as possible. report back here with your experiences.
Please remember this is purley to test for lag. As it stands we only have 1GB of RAM on this server and i just want to see how well it performs (at least until i either get a refund or some extra ram).
I was getting a ping time of around 250ms (ish) so I'm not sure how well it will do.
Lord Infamous
Thats some laggy ass shit, There is no way I'd accept that for a server, no matter what you're paying for it.

I'm serious when I say I'm willing to put in some cash for something better, let me know man.
orbit
QUOTE (Lord Infamous @ May 9 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Thats some laggy ass shit, There is no way I'd accept that for a server, no matter what you're paying for it.

I'm serious when I say I'm willing to put in some cash for something better, let me know man.

Its not too bad once you get outside the spawn protection area. But yeah we would want something a bit closer (and hopefully faster).

I have a paypal account set up with a donate button on my site www.orbitoid.net
I will pay for the server and people can donate what they are willing to. I just dont want to get myself into any trouble... or debt.

Does this sound like a good idea? is there another way we can do the whole donation thing? Paying for this server is going to have to be a group effort (for now) and I'm still not 100% sure how much it is going to cost.
Lord Infamous
It's hard to rely on donations, it could work though. If we can get a fun server going, with a large fan base you could even make money off it. who knows.
orbit
I dont think making money should be the goal of the server. Any money that we get for donations will be put straight back into the server. Hiring a VPS that is going to be suitable looks like it will cost a fair bit so i doubt we will have any excess.
If we end up getting a fair bit then we should use the extra to help pay for the domain (when/if we get a Respawn sub domain).

Can anyone else test the server for lag? Just remember that you cannot just build/destroy blocks within the first 8 (or 16?) blocks in any direction from your spawn point.
Lord Infamous
I walked a fair way and the lag still sucked ass. New server is needed
orbit
Ok well if a new server is needed then I will need some help finding one.

If we assume 15 people will be on the server at all times the requirements are as such:
1.5GB of RAM (1*)
10mbps (up and down) connection for the net (2*)
~150GB per month data usage. (3*)
50GB of HDD space (4*)
ping times <200ms (5*)
Cost = How ever much we can get donated.

(1*) ~100MB of RAM per user on at any one time. so 15 people would be 1.5GB of ram. Plus the OS (if using linux we would need about 100MB or so.) I think we could get away with 1.5GB of RAM fine.

(2*)Bandwidth seems to vary depending on how much exploring people do. When i was playing on the server before it was using anywhere between 15kBps and 250kBps download - can anyone else confirm how much it uses for them when playing on a multiplayer server?

(3*) 15 people @ 100KBps for 5 hours a day at 5 days a week = 98GB per month
A server that I hosted a while ago with around 6-7 people on it regulary had a map size of around 75MB after a month or so.
The backups would be around 200(ish)MB. If we do a backup every day thats 6GB a month.
So to allow for people who will explore heaps and make lots of changes we would need around 150GB of data per month.

(4*) The MC server is pretty damn small and the only other things we need the space for are the plugins, map(/s?) and OS.

(5*)200ms is what we got with Virpus and that was too much.

I have no idea how much we will need to pay for a server with these specs yet. The main thing that makes it expensive is the RAM. We cant really get away with less than 1.5GB of RAM from what i have read online and what i have seen myself. even 1.5GB of RAM is still a bit low for 15 people.

If anyone else can have a look for a server with these specs that would help. Post back here with what you find.
orbit
Lag or no lag we have the virpus server until 27/05/11. After heaps of trouble I finally have the Minecraft server up with 2.5GB of RAM and all the resources it should have had from the beginning.
the address is mc.orbitoid.net so connect and play if you can deal with the lag. Unless i can think of something better to do with this VPS until 27/05/11 it will just be running this unmodded minecraft server.

I will keep looking for a new (closer) server.
I'm thinking of maybe just trying the Jumba 1GB plan that Jeffy suggested previously. It would only allow us to have around 10 people on it at any one time but that should be enough for now. If we need more later then we can work it out then.

Now i just need to get another $30 to try it out.
SLy
Definatly Host a minecraft server. its becoming pretty viral and its a chill game at liek 3am lol. oh and btw i was the one who built tht UBERLY visible obsidium town on the projector lol. theres also a new game out called terraria i think its like minecraft but more like the gameboy version. worth a look into aswell. il donate $20 to the minecraft server also lol
orbit
terraria looks like an awesome game. I will have to investigate further. there is also Ace of spades
Which looks like Minecraft with guns. So i'll be looking into that as well

If you want to donate $20 that would be awesome. The best way to donate is paypal on my site. That will let me use the money donated to pay for a server straight away.
Please let me know if/when you have donated, either through here or pm me.
Lord Infamous
If you're going to run off donations I'll wait until you have something stable and running.

let me know
SLy
id reccomend 4GB ram and some sort of quad core processor, like its not rocket science and with this kinda thing its better not running of bear minimum. my mate has a seed box with unlimited bandwith and 250GB for like $15 a month. something like that is worth investing in.
priorax
Where is it though (just that I know latencies can be a bitch)? Also what would it be like for use as a Minecraft server?
SirSquidness
QUOTE (SLy @ May 24 2011, 05:02 PM) *
. my mate has a seed box with unlimited bandwith and 250GB for like $15 a month. something like that is worth investing in.

In Germany.

350ms away.

That's a little too far away to use for games smile.gif
SLy
its fine for minecraft, its not an fps.
priorax
QUOTE (SLy @ May 24 2011, 10:19 PM) *
its fine for minecraft, its not an fps.

QUOTE (orbit @ May 11 2011, 10:49 AM) *
(5*)200ms is what we got with Virpus and that was too much.

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ May 24 2011, 10:05 PM) *
350ms away.

That's a little too far away to use for games smile.gif

Latency matters. Even if it is only Minecraft, latency matters.
orbit
ok i have paid for a months worth of the $30 a month Supreme plan with Jumba.

It has just finished being built so i will set it up now and let you know what the server name is soon.

It should be done within the next day or so.
orbit
Ok i decided to get it up and running tonight instead.
Currently the server is up and has 896MB of RAM dedicated to minecraft (128MB for OS)
No mods as of yet. It has been paid for, for one month ($30).
I'm getting a ping of between 40-50ms from my home net connection and it seems to be running nicley in minecraft at least for myself.
Can someone else test it out?

Server name: mc2.orbitoid.net (this can be changed later)
if the dns records havent been updated yet use: 175.107.159.161

If this works out well i will do more work on it to make it more usable (set up mods/admins and maybe an ftp share with backups ect, ect)
For now its just to test so jump in and cause a rukkus.
Lord Infamous
I'll give it a test during the week.
SLoV
hey sorry been away for a bit , but was talking to exigent people website

and tehy sent me an email back

Hi Daniel

We can customise the package, not a problem.

For additional memory
512mb = $10.00/month
1GB = $15.00/month
2GB = $20.00/month

If there is any other questions, please feel free to shoot us back an email anytime.

Kind Regards,

John
Exigent Enterprise PTY LTD

so even there $10 plan with extra 2 gig $20 (2.5 gig /5 gig boost) wouldnt be too bad, only downside is 100gig bandwidth
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape