Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The EL chair.
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Spam
jutzy
I present to you, the epic of epicness!!!

TRON CHAIR!

got bored with some EL Tubing, decided to install it into my chair... kinda not permanant at the moment, however im yet to figure out how to make it permanant.. (ideas welcome smile.gif )

Downside - it requires 8 D cell batteries to power... however im looking at USB POWER!!! (considering its my chair and its always at a computer or something with USB's)

Opinions?
oohms
That looks pretty awesome
jutzy
Im actualy in the process of sewing the EL wire to the chair, secured for transport smile.gif

however i want to make it USB powerd any breif ideas on specs for a usb plug for just powering.

Edit: Just attempted to make a USB Power cable, it works but the drawback is its very dimly lit, it looks like ass compared to the 8 DCell batts.

could it be because the cable im using is USB 1.0 or could it be because USB cant power much (yet look at the charging capeabliitys)
DArenberg
QUOTE (jutzy @ Dec 25 2010, 01:25 AM) *
Im actualy in the process of sewing the EL wire to the chair, secured for transport smile.gif

however i want to make it USB powerd any breif ideas on specs for a usb plug for just powering.

Edit: Just attempted to make a USB Power cable, it works but the drawback is its very dimly lit, it looks like ass compared to the 8 DCell batts.

could it be because the cable im using is USB 1.0 or could it be because USB cant power much (yet look at the charging capeabliitys)

Isn't USB 5v standard and D cells 1.5v x by 8 = 12v I'm no sparky but POWER MY BOY IS THE KEY!
jutzy
OH damn, i may have to directly hook into my neons power supply... i suppose, ill have to splice something together anyway, or i could create a double USB Power... would that work?

So connect the two reds and two blacks from the two usb's to power it?

urgh id rather not carry around a 8 battery pack for my chair.
Alioth
What you really need is some sort of rechargable battery pack that you can screw onto the underneath of the chair but then uses USB to charge. Regardless of the slow power draw of USB, if you left it on overnight, I'm sure it could charge it up for a good day's use.

That being said, TRON-ifying things is so cliche.
DArenberg
QUOTE (Alioth @ Dec 26 2010, 07:39 AM) *
What you really need is some sort of rechargable battery pack that you can screw onto the underneath of the chair but then uses USB to charge. Regardless of the slow power draw of USB, if you left it on overnight, I'm sure it could charge it up for a good day's use.

That being said, TRON-ifying things is so cliche.

Download or get a hold of a Jaycar cat, plenty of rechargeable battery packs, could also be green and charge it from a solar panel on the back.
That Commander
QUOTE (jutzy @ Dec 24 2010, 01:32 AM) *
I present to you, the epic of epicness!!!

TRON CHAIR!

got bored with some EL Tubing, decided to install it into my chair... kinda not permanant at the moment, however im yet to figure out how to make it permanant.. (ideas welcome smile.gif )

Downside - it requires 8 D cell batteries to power... however im looking at USB POWER!!! (considering its my chair and its always at a computer or something with USB's)

Opinions?

Wow, that is very cool! How flexible is EL wire? Is a suit possible? biggrin.gif
jutzy
Yes el wire is very flexalble, suit ready

12 bucks for 5m of the stuff, however you cant cut it and splice it unless you know what your doing, i dont tongue.gif

i had to unfortuantly pull the wire out of my chair as the power adapter that i had and one segment of the wire snapped.
Yurick
Charging from USB should be relatively easy, considering that you can likely find a battery charger powered by USB. I would say that connecting your chair by cable to your pc is a bad idea for respawn as it would be very easy for someOne to accidentally knock your chair and rip the cable, damaging not only your chair lighting, but also your USB hub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape