Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SSD's vs HDD
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
Harlski
I'm creating a home media network at home, transferring files to a central computer which is my Media-PC. However I've noticed that transferring videos over lan is very slow.

Would swapping out a hard drive in my Media-PC and replacing it with an SSD, allow me to get faster transfer speeds through lan? Or what modifications would I need to make to the Media-PC to enable me in achieving fastest incoming speeds.

Much love.
Jen
SSD has a faster rate but are smaller drives and much more expensive than traditional HDD.

You said "faster transfer through the lan" would involve you buying at least a 100mbit (Fast) or 1000mbit (Gigabit) switch to ensure the transfer across the network is up to spec. But then it's upto the PC's bus to handle the balance of the transaction. If its an older motherboard, you won't get much more speed out of it until you upgrade the motherboard.
Harlski
QUOTE (Jeffy @ Dec 1 2010, 07:18 PM) *
SSD has a faster rate but are smaller drives and much more expensive than traditional HDD.

You said "faster transfer through the lan" would involve you buying at least a 100mbit (Fast) or 1000mbit (Gigabit) switch to ensure the transfer across the network is up to spec. But then it's upto the PC's bus to handle the balance of the transaction. If its an older motherboard, you won't get much more speed out of it until you upgrade the motherboard.

Ahh for sure Jeffy. Cheers for the info.
priorax
Well, at the same hand, you are missing options such as hybrid drives (Seagate Momentus XT) which are standard hdd's which use ssd's for cache.
Also forgetting RAID.

That is my boot drive.
2xSamsung 500gb F3s running on the controller that came built into my motherboard. Cost me under $100, and performs simmilar to a SSD.

My question is what means of network are you using to send the stream. As Jeffy said, this will greatly impact. Not only that, but what hardware is in the media PC itself and what quality videos are you trying to play on it?
DArenberg
QUOTE (priorax @ Dec 1 2010, 11:33 PM) *
Well, at the same hand, you are missing options such as hybrid drives (Seagate Momentus XT) which are standard hdd's which use ssd's for cache.
Also forgetting RAID.

That is my boot drive.
2xSamsung 500gb F3s running on the controller that came built into my motherboard. Cost me under $100, and performs simmilar to a SSD.

My question is what means of network are you using to send the stream. As Jeffy said, this will greatly impact. Not only that, but what hardware is in the media PC itself and what quality videos are you trying to play on it?

Ah so many variables, I use my gaming rig to stream my backed up Blu Ray movies to my Home theater via a PS3 so I don't have to get up, Bottle necks to check as mentioned before Router / Switch, Cable, HDD speed you shouldn't need anymore than a standard hardrive, Bus speed, Network Card / Mobo adapter, and software used.

Use Linux or Windows7, I changed from Vista and my movies stopped stuttering and I now have a bit rate in the 90's instead of the 60's

Really a hard drive is the last thing I would change, so long as its running as it's suppose to, I can stream off an external 2TB seagate via USB and esata and have no issues.
priorax
No, the last thing I would change, CPU cooler.
soulink
its simple, seagate 1.5TB drives still transfer at like 110MBps read and wright, so jsut get a gigabit switch, gigabit ethernet on both PC's and thats realy about as quick as ur gonna get, becuase gigabit network is capped at like 100MBps anyway.

my 2c biggrin.gif
oohms
A decent large drive should max out gigabit when transferring large files at ~110mb/sec
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape