Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating a File Server
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
soulink
Hey Guys,

After this last respawn i have realized my data amount is starting to get a litle high for just keeping in my main PC.

So i am thinking of building a file server.

I will have a mobo with 6 sata ports ( 5 for 5 X 2TB Drives and 1 for main OS drive)

Just wondering what raid you would think suite best? I was thinking raid 5 hence ill still get 8TB total but will have the redundency and READ speed (Write speed is not a massive issue).

But if there are other raid solutions i would love to hear about them biggrin.gif

Thanks guys...
oohms
Raid 5 is pretty much the only raid worth thinking about for your setup and amount of drives - either through your onboard controller or with a hardware raid card, or in the OS (windows server 2008 or *nix/solaris)
soulink
ok sweet biggrin.gif aslo one other thing, would it be better of puting the OS on the same raid or not? or just keeping the OS on its own drive
oohms
In my ideal lanning PC, i would have one OS drive, one games drive, and then the rest as storage. That way, if someone is leeching off you, it won't affect games/windows as much.
Otherwise you could put the games on the OS drive - as the array will be hammered if you share it at a lan

If it is just a file server and nothing else, it won't matter too much - you can have a small OS drive if you want, especially if the motherboard has extra sata ports not tied to the SB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape