Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High pitched sound at seemingly random times
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
Hintswen
My computer has been making a high pitched sound at what seems to be random times. It's a long sound and can sometimes last for hours. It hasn't happened any time I have been in a position to take off the side of my care and try and hear what it is coming from though.

It would most likely be the power supply right?
priorax
I had this issue
Take your powersupply out

On the fan there should be 4 screws
Tighten them, put it back in, see if it still makes the noise
oohms
Could be from the power supply, video card, or around the cpu area.

Does it happen in games etc, or even when your idling?

Also what brand is your psu? (Please don't say shaw sad.gif)
R4N
or "besta"
Hintswen
QUOTE (oohms @ May 31 2010, 09:32 PM) *
Could be from the power supply, video card, or around the cpu area.

Does it happen in games etc, or even when your idling?

Also what brand is your psu? (Please don't say shaw sad.gif)

happens at random times (in games, and idle. even started in the middle of the night once) and my PSU is in fact shaw which is why I've been suspecting that to be the problem. it was supposed to be a temporary PSU until I find the time to go buy a better one.
phrostyboi
It's called shopping online and takes all of 5 minutes...
Could be a cap in the PS on the way out
R4N
What are your system specs.

If your shaw "PSU" is being overloaded it could cause a squeel like you are describing.

GIARUS
lol that may explain the noise back when i was in highschool
dam old computers
and there high pitched noises
Hintswen
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Also have a old Leadtek DTV1000T in there.

No idea exactly what the "PSU" is.

It actually hasn't happened for quite awhile.
priorax
PSU = Power supply
Hintswen
QUOTE (priorax @ Jun 2 2010, 11:10 PM) *
PSU = Power supply

I mean I don't know any details about the PSU I have other than it being Shaw >.<
R4N
QUOTE (Hintswen @ Jun 2 2010, 10:56 PM) *
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Also have a old Leadtek DTV1000T in there.

No idea exactly what the "PSU" is.

It actually hasn't happened for quite awhile.

WAAAAAAAAAAY overpowered for any shaw, even a 1500w.
The problem with shaw or any generic power supply is their advertised wattage is nowhere near their actual capacity.
I have read somewhere that someone tested a 1500w shaw psu with a PSU tester, and it crapped out at about 280w.

This would be the source of your issues, overworked power supplies tend to squeel.
I am amazed the machine is even functioning smile.gif

I recommend forking out about $90-100 on your new Power supply.
Sando
Do yourself a favour and get a new power supply regardless of the issue. With any luck, that SHAW PSU will end up taking out the rest of your system when it dies soon. I'd get at least a 500w PSU for your system from a reputable brand like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec - there are many other good brands but these are just a few I generally use.
GIARUS
I might need to get a better power supply for my desktop if i recall it only s 400
serious question upgrading your power supply does it really do anything to the comp itself besides increase the watteg
TechL
Pretty sure it doesn't... and make sure you get a quality PSU, don't cheap out (again)
GIARUS
QUOTE (TechL @ Jun 3 2010, 10:36 AM) *
Pretty sure it doesn't... and make sure you get a quality PSU, don't cheap out (again)

i don't cheap out might need a new case more the tower
SirSquidness
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jun 3 2010, 10:19 AM) *
serious question upgrading your power supply does it really do anything to the comp itself besides increase the watteg

Yes, in fact, it does!

Firstly, it provides "cleaner" power to your components. It's debatable whether this actually helps anything, but if you're getting close to the maximum load of the PSU, having clean power certainly helps keep your PC stable.

If there's ever a power brownout/fluctuation in your house, a decent and not overloaded PSU will generally be fine for anywhere up to a second, depending on how severe the power disruptance. The capacitors and transformers store quite a bit of power. If it can't keep up, it'll switch off.
A shit PSU will pass on the savings to the components in your, so to speak. If it can't keep up, it'll keep going. And break things. The filtering isn't as good, and if the PSU breaks, it is a lot more likely to break more as well.
</generalisations>

--edit--
And better PSUs have a better efficiency, which means less heat and less power drawn from the wall to provide the same amount of power to the stuff inside the case.
Hintswen
I'm thinking about getting a silent/quiet PSU but I need tome to go get one. I don't like getting stuff delivered.
priorax
Corsair HX650
$152 at MSY
GIARUS
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jun 3 2010, 12:26 PM) *
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jun 3 2010, 10:19 AM) *

Yes, in fact, it does!

Firstly, it provides "cleaner" power to your components. It's debatable whether this actually helps anything, but if you're getting close to the maximum load of the PSU, having clean power certainly helps keep your PC stable.

If there's ever a power brownout/fluctuation in your house, a decent and not overloaded PSU will generally be fine for anywhere up to a second, depending on how severe the power disruptance. The capacitors and transformers store quite a bit of power. If it can't keep up, it'll switch off.
A shit PSU will pass on the savings to the components in your, so to speak. If it can't keep up, it'll keep going. And break things. The filtering isn't as good, and if the PSU breaks, it is a lot more likely to break more as well.
</generalisations>

--edit--
And better PSUs have a better efficiency, which means less heat and less power drawn from the wall to provide the same amount of power to the stuff inside the case.

Thank u squid what do u recommand
TechL
Get a coolermaster PSU... one with enough wattage for you, I quite like the CM brand when it comes to power supplies.
priorax
QUOTE (TechL @ Jun 3 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Get a coolermaster PSU... one with enough wattage for you, I quite like the CM brand when it comes to power supplies.

I strongly disagree with this post.
I have one, under 2 years old, it's like 11.3v on the 12v rail, the fangril has to be screwed in every 3-4 months, all in all, horrible power supply. Replacing it when I have the cash. Most likely with a Corsair HX 650
phrostyboi
I previously had an antec neo (still got it just not used, at work on my desk)

2nd antec one i've had in 7 years, never had an issue with either of them

think i've currently got a corsair if I remember correctly

cheap PSU usually ends up causing lots of stability issues

In the end like all electronics they're probably made in the same factory and rebranded, then it's just a choice of modular or not and how many electricity's you want
TechL
QUOTE (priorax @ Jun 3 2010, 05:12 PM) *

I strongly disagree with this post.
I have one, under 2 years old, it's like 11.3v on the 12v rail, the fangril has to be screwed in every 3-4 months, all in all, horrible power supply. Replacing it when I have the cash. Most likely with a Corsair HX 650

Mine works fine, and for others I've recommended and currently running work fine too :/
SirSquidness
The classic "I had a bad experience, therefore the entire brand is crap" argument.

I expected better, priorax. sad.gif
R4N
I run a CM Realpower pro 650 in my media center, hasnt skipped a beat.
GIARUS

i might get coolmaster i see they do make good power supplies
priorax
Squid: From what I have heard of Corsair they make really, really high quality power supplies, thus why I was recommending them, at the very least I would recommend against getting an "Extreme Power", that's probably where my problem was, skimping out on the PSU because when I built my machine I didn't understand the advantages of a good one

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14533

Thats the re-vamped model
Mine has 3 SATA connectors, a 4 pin CPU 12v, something like 7 molex
SirSquidness
QUOTE (priorax @ Jun 4 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Squid: From what I have heard of Corsair they make really, really high quality power supplies, thus why I was recommending them, at the very least I would recommend against getting an "Extreme Power", that's probably where my problem was, skimping out on the PSU because when I built my machine I didn't understand the advantages of a good one

I wasn't saying anything against Corsair or your recommendations, just that you were calling Cooler Master shit based on a single experience; that's not very scientific of you.
priorax
Fine, let me refine my sentence.
From my single experience, as well as the specs on the Coolermaster Extreme, it is horrible, spend a bit extra, get a decent power supply
TechL
I've always wanted a Corsair PSU... they do look nice. I guess only reaosn I went with CM is because it was a bit cheaper.
oohms
extreme power psus are pretty good for what you pay... just don't push them too hard
Zardoz
lol anecdotal evidence
Jinky
I bought an Antec Earthwatts 750W for $135, it's the quietest PSU i've ever owned.

I installed a Corsair HX-750 for a mate, the modular cables that come with it look dodgy and feel a bit flimsy. But that's just my opinion.
wolfmother
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jun 3 2010, 11:53 PM) *
The classic "I had a bad experience, therefore the entire brand is crap" argument.

I expected better, priorax. sad.gif

This is particularly funny given that multiple brands share different circuit boards, meaning that not only do not all Coolermaster PSUs have that problem, but not all other brands don't.

DOUBLE NEGATIVES YEEEAAAAH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape