Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gaming mac
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
meediox
if i buy a mac for video editing puposes will it also make a alright gaming comp if i split the hdd and put windows on it also
priorax
Give us specs, then we can say
oohms
Depends entirely on the video card

(/me keeps quiet about his opinion of macs)
AeroCommander
yeah i have the same problem i got a mac for uni
the specs for mine are
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Serial Number (system): W80051HP7XJ
Hardware UUID: 93CBA688-DE0E-5A8F-8985-B5FBADB7FDB4
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:graphics
Zardoz
Hi,

I currently use the latest MacBook Pro with the GT330M and have been very happy with the Windows gaming performance. Portal under Mac OSX was slower that the Windows version.

If you get the 15 inch, make sure you get the upgraded high res screen. Also, Apple retail stores will give you a full refund within two weeks if you are unhappy with it for any reason - so try it and see how it goes.

-z
GIARUS
QUOTE (Zardoz @ Jun 1 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Hi,

I currently use the latest MacBook Pro with the GT330M and have been very happy with the Windows gaming performance. Portal under Mac OSX was slower that the Windows version.

If you get the 15 inch, make sure you get the upgraded high res screen. Also, Apple retail stores will give you a full refund within two weeks if you are unhappy with it for any reason - so try it and see how it goes.

-z

Even Zardoz agree's macs are not gaming comps
PC FTW
SirSquidness
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jun 1 2010, 06:52 PM) *

meediox
im getting the mid range 15 inch seeing as it has a hd graphics card n 500 gig ram
priorax
QUOTE (meediox @ Jun 4 2010, 12:46 PM) *
500 gig ram

...want
Sando
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jun 1 2010, 07:12 PM) *
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Jun 1 2010, 06:52 PM) *

You only realised now that GIARUS can't read?
tazzyface
500gig ram?! Wow, my PC only has 6gb. Macs must be special after all.

I think you mean 500gb HDD space and 4gb RAM. tongue.gif
TeamSlayer
shit! 500gb of ram? me wantee

ive only got 4
phrostyboi
mac is only a PC which is white and expensive, with a different BIOS and diferent OS

one of those things you'd either like or hate... kinda like Novell networks

(yes I'm a closet Novell guy...)
TeamSlayer
i believe that the only use macs are good for is design of images, graphics and videos

other than that theyre only good for smashing and bashing because theyre just an expensive paperweight that supposedly looks sleek

i admit the ipod is good but thats all from mac

i completely agree with this vid smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxKvt9_0Q8
Wombie
These days Mac hardware is extensively the same/similar to that of a PC
TeamSlayer
QUOTE (Wombie @ Jun 5 2010, 09:52 PM) *

i agree...i jailbroke my touch and now it suits me...it looks like windows 7!
tazzyface
QUOTE (TeamSlayer @ Jun 5 2010, 09:50 PM) *
i believe that the only use macs are good for is design of images, graphics and videos

I design images, graphics and whatnot at uni (which of course makes me an expert on the topic...) and I much prefer the PCs to the Mac computers. Much faster and easier to use. Plus I don't look like an idiot trying to find the power button on the iMacs tongue.gif
ihasaflavur
the only computer i need is the tazzyface one. she's sleek, doesn't cost much and never blue screens.
Wombie
QUOTE (TeamSlayer @ Jun 5 2010, 11:53 AM) *

so is your issue with the operating system or are you just some extremist against steve jobs having a popular corporation?
R4N
QUOTE (Wombie @ Jun 5 2010, 10:57 PM) *

so is your issue with the operating system or are you just some extremist against steve jobs having a popular corporation?

I don't think either of those responses make sense at all.

To keep things on topic.

Modern macs "depending on the configuration you choose of course" should play most games at a reasonable frame rate.

As zardoz said a top spec macbook pro has a GT330m gfx card, which will provide similar performance to a desktop 9600gt.

I would recommend running windows on it for all your games, as darwine/VMware/etc will slow down gaming perfomance...quite a bit smile.gif
Jagster
QUOTE (R4N @ Jun 5 2010, 11:02 PM) *
QUOTE (Wombie @ Jun 5 2010, 10:57 PM) *

I don't think either of those responses make sense at all.

To keep things on topic.

Modern macs "depending on the configuration you choose of course" should play most games at a reasonable frame rate.

As zardoz said a top spec macbook pro has a GT330m gfx card, which will provide similar performance to a desktop 9600gt.

I would recommend running windows on it for all your games, as darwine/VMware/etc will slow down gaming perfomance...quite a bit smile.gif

His talking about dual booting the mac comp with windows and mac
and asking would it run well
if u really want mac on then u start with a windows computer and dual boot mac on it not the other way around.
if u did that then yes it would be a good gaming comp not great but good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape