Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yay Getting a failki
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Spam
jutzy
Finaly decided to order a myki today, should be here within 7 working days ect.

Its gunna fail hard isnt it!

But the reasoning behind myki is that the old paper systems about to crap out, ive been on about 4-6 different busses and the ticket readers wernt working and the bus driver had to wave me on ( i suppose that its not a BAD thing)

Opinions on myki
xbox_girl
QUOTE (xevious @ Feb 20 2010, 10:23 PM) *
Finaly decided to order a myki today, should be here within 7 working days ect.

Its gunna fail hard isnt it!

But the reasoning behind myki is that the old paper systems about to crap out, ive been on about 4-6 different busses and the ticket readers wernt working and the bus driver had to wave me on ( i suppose that its not a BAD thing)

Opinions on myki

actually I don't think that is the reason at all... They have introduced myki in order to compete with overseas markets... I'm almost sure that when the European train system was intoduced they had similar problems... We just didn't hear about it... And I doubt myki failures are the no 1 topic of intrest in other countries... I know for a fact that a new system was on the cards regardless of the current system (and FYI the current system works damn well) and it just happened to be myki that was chosen as it is modelled on larger countries systems. The problem with myki is that is was a poor design... The original develers were inexerienced and the first testing showed this leading to a complete overhaul of the original program and hence the massive blowout on the budget and massive time delays... Yes the system is flawed but it's a stepping stone into the future...
jutzy
No it is the reason.

uncle works for transport department

they said its to compete however its because the systems about to shit itself

Do i have to get into a argument here! stating many facts ect.

xbox_girl
QUOTE (xevious @ Feb 21 2010, 10:01 AM) *
No it is the reason.

uncle works for transport department

they said its to compete however its because the systems about to shit itself

Do i have to get into a argument here! stating many facts ect.

LOL No argument required. I would only like you to clarify one thing.. if the system is about to shit itself why are they implementing a system that has been in the works for the last 8 years? 6 years on myki and 2 year R&D beforehand... which FYI was only 5 years AFTER metcard was introduces... From my experience, systems that are about to "shit themselves" often don't keep lasting for another 8 years...

Congrats on your uncle working the transport department, my dad was the project manager on the rebuild of myki. Name dropping doesn't really get you very far.
jutzy
wellplayed madam. wellplayed.

Mid last year transport department had to do emergency work on the metcard readers, 40 - 45% were failing to read metcards.

Myki- overdue, overbudget! it will be a great system once they work all the kinks out.. like the fact that it takes many "touch" ons and offs to actualy read, not good when your getting on a packed tram after the footy!

AND they say that myki will be active on busses and trams within the next 3 months, they are working out the satalite issues. i dont beleve that, government officials part of the closed beta can use their miki on trams and buses. its just the fact that the readers are failing because of shit software design.

meh,

it will be great... once the software is fully functional
priorax
As a student, I love mykis.
$410 for unlimited zone 1, 2, vline and regional bus all year since they can't fix the system up properly yet. Sure, I doubt I would use regional bus, but it's nice to know that I can.
Also, since I'm a student, my one doesn't work on trams and stuff still, but if a ticket inspector pulls me up, I just show my concession card and (s)he walks past biggrin.gif
Wombie
Yeah i got a Myki card when they were free because i figured I'd have to eventually and it was free!
I like the system so far on trains, Although I've had problems going to uni such as if i Touch on at Epping take the train to Flinders street, get a coffee then get on the next train and touch off at Camberwell i find when i touch it at Camberwell it touches on again? so i have to wait aroiudn 5 minutes to touch off again.
Also you cannot touch it through your wallet, i have to take my card out and hold it a certain way to get it to touch on first time every time.
priorax
QUOTE (Wombie @ Feb 21 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Also you cannot touch it through your wallet, i have to take my card out and hold it a certain way to get it to touch on first time every time.

Depends on the machine.
Some at Melb Central let me touch on/off through my wallet. Some don't. It just takes longer.
Alioth
Instead of spending all this cash monies on tickets, how about they put it towards finding a way of getting their shit to run on time.
Tank
QUOTE (Alioth @ Feb 21 2010, 04:58 PM) *
Instead of spending all this cash monies on tickets, how about they put it towards finding a way of getting their shit to run on time.

Becuase they already spent so much time & money on it it would be pointless to drop it and not complete it tongue.gif

also myki =/= metro. myki/metlink is JUST the ticketing system, and has nothing to do with the companies who run the srvices (metro/yarra trams/yaddayaddayadd)
Sharks
perth has this sort of shit already working, etc.

trains suck, stop overpacking them bastards and run more down the western line at peak periods is my only concern, i don't give a crap what system we use.
jutzy
so er used my myki today...

got on a bus and touched on... what i didnt think you could.. aw its 100% online they just dont want users to actualy use it
xbox_girl
QUOTE (xevious @ Feb 25 2010, 06:07 PM) *
so er used my myki today...

got on a bus and touched on... what i didnt think you could.. aw its 100% online they just dont want users to actualy use it

lol i would keep an eye on your money... the reason they dont want people using it is because its not communicating the correct fare properly...
Rangers
I got o na bus today. they werent working. At the train station it worked but i had to take it out of my wallet. Once i tried to end my journey at the next station it kept saying error touch again or something like that.
jutzy
for two bus trips it cost me 2 bucks, the last bus trip this afternoon didnt take any money neither with the train trip this afternoon
SirSquidness
I used my Myki for the first time yesterday, train in to the city and out again. Three out of six sensors I tried did not work. That is a 50% working ratio. Seriously... what the hell?
jutzy
wow squid did u ring the myki center?

another thing that pisses me off is that the transactions take 24hrs to show up in your transaction list!
Rangers
I bought a pass for 4 weeks, pro tip its cheaper than a monthly smile.gif

No need to worry about balances so yea. If you dont use public transport alot then this isnt the option for you smile.gif
jutzy
yeh if your a user who uses public transport less than 30 times a month get myki money
Rangers
xevious i think people should pay for our service of info on myki, we are providing a service here.
jutzy
i likeski money... i can put more money on my myki
Maelstrom
Got a free myki with my concession card. Plan not to use it until the big fiasco where everyone loses their money irretrievably happens.

Wait, that hasn't happened yet ohmy.gif

I knew I never should have invented that time machine!
tazzyface
I use trams a lot so I won't be using my myki (which I also got for free with my student concession card) until it's fully compatible across all modes of public transport.

I miss being in secondary school and only paying $410 for a student pass. Now that I'm at university, I have to pay 3x that amount sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape