Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help Choosing a GFX card.
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
jutzy
Im Looking at this one

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13055

but if somone could suggest one off this page

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...p;cPath=193_687

i have $460 to burn
R4N
QUOTE (xevious @ Dec 24 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Im Looking at this one

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13055

but if somone could suggest one off this page

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...p;cPath=193_687

i have $460 to burn

You can probably get it quite a bit cheaper at msy/cpl/centrecom, but the 275 is a top mid/high end card

I chose the ATI 4890 1GB instead when i upgraded a few months ago, and it performs quite similar to the 275 at a lower cost.
jutzy
im actualy now thinking of saving that money, for two weeks and getting a 295,
GIARUS
yjen do that Your i7 plus the 295 would be a awsome comp 2 have
oohms
2nd hand 4870x2 is like $300 or so
jutzy
now that im thinking about it, it means i gotta save till the 5-6th of jan coz thats when my two weeks of pay goes in, however if i get a 275 i could get it today, gahh so many choices
deano
I suggest this page > http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...p;cPath=193_934

Considering the reference stock 5850's are either on par or are outperforming overclocked 285's in dx11 and 10 apps, runs quieter, cooler and is more power efficient than any nvidia equivalent, the entire current nvidia range is a serious waste of money. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...5&Itemid=72

Another thing to consider is there are extreme shortages of the entire 5850> range at the moment, hence the inflated price (which is kind of annoying, especially since some other retailers are sticking to the RRP)
jutzy
not buying a ATI, never ever ever.

the ati i got to triscreen is 2yrs old from my dads old pc.

no ATI.

ive decided to go for the GTX295
deano
uh huh.

perhaps you missed the part where I pointed out the fact that the 5xxx range absolutely shits all over all nvidia counterparts in any area you care to mention? or maybe I should keep it simple - you're buying an outdated card.

seriously, do some research. either wait for the new nvidia range or purchase an ati 5xxx card within your budget.
jutzy
must be a ATI fanboy, im NVIDIA,

deano
No.

I just don't like making stupid decisions based on a predisposition towards a particular brand that reeks of nothing but a fleeting sense of loyalty in the face of obvious criticisms that are backed by undeniable fact.

I did state that if you wanted a nvidia solution, you should wait until the new releases because I think you're wasting money based on stupid decisions.

In short, I think you're an idiot. You asked for an opinion, I gave it to you with facts and references. All I get in return is some remark I'd expect from a kid.

Also, I don't care for either brand. I've purchased plenty of cards and have built more machines than I can count based on the only figures that count, a distinct cost/performance ratio.

Good day, Sir.
R4N
While I agree with you in theory, there are plenty of reasons to stick to Nvidia or ATI for features not related to gaming.

Also if you purchase items based on a price/performance ratio, then going for an outdated card can sometimes be a good thing, as older technology can be much cheaper

Example: My 4890 cost me bugger all smile.gif

However xevious, there is no reason in my opinion to avoid a 5xxx series if you are only using the card for gaming. a 5850, which you can get for a similar price to the GTX275 you showed in your original post, is MUCH quicker than a GTX275 in pretty much any game tested.
jutzy
hm, when are the GTX 3xx's coming out?

and im not being childish i just prefer NVIDIA. i have my reasons,
and me buying outdated technology at the moment i have a ASUS EN9600GT Black Pearl. i purchased that at respawn atack of the robots.

If you knew me (nobody here does well except for sharks) you would know i cannot wait for anything, and if ive got the money but i have to wait for the product i will blow it on some other product.

as it is im having a hard time saving this money i got for xmas, but im doing it because i want this grapics card, if i have to continue to save then i wont be able to.

another positive about purchasing a outdated card - even if its one model under the latest release its still going to be stable - if i was to go wam bam thankyou mam and purchase a 300 theres going to be problems or somthing, just like all thoes people who purchased vista.

im sorry deano for sounding childish i just prefer Nvidia, and i cannot wait for the 300 series to come out, theres not even a starting price or release date set.
GIARUS
Isn't the GTX 300 coming out soon
jutzy
yeh ive heareddded that its in feb or somthing... i dont wanna wait that long
GIARUS
But the wait might be worth it O.O
jutzy
oh god damn it, my mates talking me into getting two 4890's and crossfiring them. gah
deano
I wouldn't even get the two 4890's, once again it's old tech. It may look like a great deal now (especially second hand) but I can guarantee you that you'll be kicking yourself when games start to support dx11.

If you're buying new then at the very least look at 2x 5770's (slightly less performance than the 4870, overclocks great) and bloody cheap or a 5850 (reasons stated above) and buy another later when they return to RRP or better after the nvidia releases.

QUOTE (R4n)
While I agree with you in theory, there are plenty of reasons to stick to Nvidia or ATI for features not related to gaming.

Also if you purchase items based on a price/performance ratio, then going for an outdated card can sometimes be a good thing, as older technology can be much cheaper

I do see your point but my view is a brand new 5770 costs exactly the same amount as a 4870 (and should actually be cheaper) and you're future proofing yourself for any DX11 game on the horizon. You would get a decent amount of performance straight out of the box and could possibly outperform a 4890 after tweaking due to less overclocking overheads (i haven't actually looked into it so take that at face value)

I personally run a 4870 at the moment and will upgrade soon. Thing is I will not pay for inflated prices and i'll willingly wait another couple of months to at least check out what nvidia has to offer. If they don't come to the table with something spastic awesome (that will no doubt come at a rediculous nvidia price rolleyes.gif) then i'll probably just get a 5870 or a 5970.

In the meantime, i7 and 9tb in raid6 for me.
jutzy
okay you win, ill be purchasing the xfx branded 5850 for 499
wolfmother
The only reasons I'd stick with either company over the other are Linux drivers and developer support (both of which nVidia take the cake at). I can't imagine any other reasons to consistently choose one brand. Past bad experiences are a little bit silly to base your purchasing decisions on but if you've ever had two seperate lemons in a row, it does kind of make you never want to come near a brand again.
deano
Xevious: Good stuff smile.gif

I'm not sure if MSY still have any in stock but they did have HIS 5850's for ~$380 or something, might want to look into that. I love PCCG but not when they don't follow RRP or better. Also the only difference between the HIS 5850 and the XFX variant is a box and a sticker.

wolfmother: ATI do fail with linux drivers :/
jutzy
Edit, today i got Radeon HD 5850

powercooler
priorax
A general useful link to go to when picking a GPU is the Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hireachy.
Lists most cards back to the Nvidia TNT and the Rage 128 in order of performance.
That being said, it doesn't take into account fanboyish tendencies, overclocking, price or any factor like that.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...970,2491-7.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape