Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shitty Comp Build
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
Nucleus
I am having a real shitty time trying to install any O/S onto this thing and it's driving me nuts. I want to install XP SP2 but all i get up to is the beggining of the core drivers and that's it. It just sits there and doesn't load anything.

I have tried switching out the ram, changing cd rom drive, different hdd and changing the cd rom and hdd to work on either of the 2 ide lines. Still nothing.

Any help would be great.

P.S. If wanted to actually look at it i would bring it to respawn in January for anyone to look at it.
TechL
EXACT same problem I had on my mate's computer, the one I had at Giarrusso's house a couple of weekends back. So any help posted for you could work for the computer I have here as well
Nucleus
I found out what it was. It was the ram after all. I should have mentioned before that the cpu fan was actually fucked on it. So I went and got a cheapy cpu fan from ebay and then it occured to me to try the ram again as it may have just been over heating earlier. Fixed it instantly. now i just need to replace the faulty stick. laugh.gif
Nucleus
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Dec 15 2009, 01:22 PM) *
I found out what it was. It was the ram after all. I should have mentioned before that the cpu fan was actually fucked on it. So I went and got a cheapy cpu fan from ebay and then it occured to me to try the ram again as it may have just been over heating earlier. Fixed it instantly. now i just need to replace the faulty stick. laugh.gif

Just a follow up. All the ram sticks turned out fine. They mustn't have been sitting right. So in the end it's all good. But now I got a sound prob with the onboard sound. So i'll just wack a pci sound card in it.
Vortex Vandel
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Dec 15 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Just a follow up. All the ram sticks turned out fine. They mustn't have been sitting right. So in the end it's all good. But now I got a sound prob with the onboard sound. So i'll just wack a pci sound card in it.

do you want a p4 2ghzsomthing? I have like 2 or 3 doing nothing. cbf'ed selling them. or I have an amd 2400+ I think it is? if you feel guilty $20. no case or I might beable to give you a shit one.
GIARUS
You actually got the shitty comp 2 work im amazed.
Now if only we would get a comp me and tech r working on 2 work then we would be fine
R4N
You think that comp is shitty?!

my TFTP server is a VIA Epia 833mhz Flex ATX in an aptiva case tongue.gif
jutzy
QUOTE (R4N @ Dec 17 2009, 11:12 AM) *

ZOMG Aptiva i had one of them back in like 1999/2000
Nucleus
QUOTE (Vortex Vandel @ Dec 17 2009, 12:25 AM) *

do you want a p4 2ghzsomthing? I have like 2 or 3 doing nothing. cbf'ed selling them. or I have an amd 2400+ I think it is? if you feel guilty $20. no case or I might beable to give you a shit one.

That's awsome thanks heaps for the offer. I'd love the p4 and a case if you do in fact have one lying about. The one I have it in atm has no hdd section. So the 10GB is sitting on the floor. About the cash thing, I don't have spare anything atm, so sorry about that. In fact ihasaflavur is paying for me. So if it's all good with you that would be great. laugh.gif
Nucleus

What's the fsb with the cpu. I might give it to my dad instead to replace his 1.7Ghz thing. His mobo only supports 400Mhz FSB.
GIARUS
QUOTE (R4N @ Dec 17 2009, 11:12 AM) *

You haven't seen the box i have its shitty the night we saw it
ihasaflavur
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Dec 18 2009, 08:22 PM) *

That's awsome thanks heaps for the offer. I'd love the p4 and a case if you do in fact have one lying about. The one I have it in atm has no hdd section. So the 10GB is sitting on the floor. About the cash thing, I don't have spare anything atm, so sorry about that. In fact ihasaflavur is paying for me. So if it's all good with you that would be great. laugh.gif

no dice. cool.gif
Vortex Vandel

yeh np. I'll bring it to the next respawn. I even got another 3ghz p4 chip :/ most are 400 or 800fsb I think. you should beable to put 800 in 400 I think.. but these will come with crappy boards. if I'm feeling nice I might give you the flakey amd box and also a chip for your dad or somthing. (yes I want rid of em).
Nucleus
QUOTE (Vortex Vandel @ Dec 30 2009, 11:16 PM) *

yeh np. I'll bring it to the next respawn. I even got another 3ghz p4 chip :/ most are 400 or 800fsb I think. you should beable to put 800 in 400 I think.. but these will come with crappy boards. if I'm feeling nice I might give you the flakey amd box and also a chip for your dad or somthing. (yes I want rid of em).

Ok done I'll bring that comp round next respawn. laugh.gif laugh.gif As for the case though i don't need one anymore because I grabbed one off a build I did for someone ages ago and gave them a real crappy 550 mhz thing with like 250mb sd ram.
Nucleus

Good news everybody, I finaly got a sound card for it. But that's not even working in it now. IDK WHAT IT'S PROBLEM IS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sad.gif I'm getting the error code 10. Cannot start this device.
SirSquidness
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Feb 6 2010, 09:37 PM) *
I'm getting the error code 10. Cannot start this device.

Wrong drivers, physically broken, or not plugged in properly.
Nucleus
QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Feb 7 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Yeah I really think that it's just simply broken. Dammit a perfectly fine computer without sound. What a shame. sad.gif
GIARUS
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Feb 8 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Yeah I really think that it's just simply broken. Dammit a perfectly fine computer without sound. What a shame. sad.gif

Not now since i gave u the sound card.
Nucleus
QUOTE (GIARUS @ Feb 9 2010, 11:36 AM) *
QUOTE (Nucleus @ Feb 8 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Not now since i gave u the sound card.

Yeah even with that sound card it's fucking up with the same error code.
Nucleus
All solved. It's fully funcional now. All that it ended up being was the card must have been out dated and not compatible with XP. A newer compatible card has been installed and is now playing wonderful sound. I have even upgraded a neighbours computer with it since I fixed it. Came in good use after all..... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape