Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gaming Laptop
Respawn LAN Forums > Discussion > Computers
TheTacoMan
Going overseas for 6 months, and i need a fairly beastly laptop to keep up with the latest games.

What can respawners recommenced? I don't need top, TOP of the line, but at least something that will play new releases
priorax
Honestly, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "gaming laptop", but, there are some nice MSI and Asus keyboards out that have half decent graphics and cpu's.
chinpokomoN
There is gaming laptops I reckon, but they will never be as good as a desktop IMO.
SirSquidness
QUOTE (priorax @ Nov 28 2009, 12:22 AM) *
Honestly, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "gaming laptop", but, there are some nice MSI and Asus keyboards out that have half decent graphics and cpu's.

So... those laptops out there with dual 9800GT, dual hard drives, 17" high res screen etc... they're not a gaming laptop?

Laptops will not be as powerful as a PC of equivalent value, no. But 'no gaming laptops'? Pfft.

As for the OP, you don't need a massive gaming laptop to play games. I spent $1500 at the start of the year on a BenQ S42 which plays everything I throw at it pretty damn well. It's (relative to 'gaming laptops') light and small. It's no longer made, but something like that would be perfect for you.
Harkonnen
QUOTE (priorax @ Nov 27 2009, 11:22 PM) *

Wrong, my $1800 laptop outperforms my 20-month year old desktop which cost $3000 at the time.

It scores 11,000-12,000 on 3dmark06, which is what most people would consider enough to run any modern game at high @ 1080p. So no need to make ignorant remarks more suited to 2003.
priorax
Note to self: sarcasm doesn't work on the internet

My thing has, and always will be, desktop for gaming and file storage
Laptop for on-the-go work.

Also, with those laptops with dual graphics cards, anyone know how long that battery life on those last for?
SirSquidness
QUOTE (priorax @ Nov 28 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Also, with those laptops with dual graphics cards, anyone know how long that battery life on those last for?

You're lucky to get an hour's battery.
TheTacoMan
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Battery life is not really an issue for me, as this laptop will mostly be used overseas as a desktop replacement, or when i go to LANS.

I'm looking to spend $1500 - $2000, anyone got any specific suggestions?

Edit: I've heard good things about Alienware laptops, anyone here ever try one?
priorax
Alienware laptops, again, my statement about battery life, kinda ruins the point of being a portable computer if you need to be permanently attached to a power point...

I suggest and eeepc if you're only playing Knytt Stories, besides that...

As I said though, there are some very nice Asus and MSI ones out there, it's just that I can't remember where...
Drakz
QUOTE (TheTacoMan @ Nov 28 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Cool, thanks for the feedback. Battery life is not really an issue for me, as this laptop will mostly be used overseas as a desktop replacement, or when i go to LANS.

I'm looking to spend $1500 - $2000, anyone got any specific suggestions?

Edit: I've heard good things about Alienware laptops, anyone here ever try one?

I would recommend Sager or Asus. Either of their ranges with the GTX260m graphics card or better.
TheTacoMan
for those who are intrested, this is what i went for:

NEW STOCK: i7 Asus ROG "Republic of Gamers" 15.6" 1920x1080 Full HD Gaming Laptop

Asus G51J-A1BD - Asus G51J-A1 / G51IJ-A1 - Asus GeForce GTX 260 1GB 15.6" 1080p Gaming Notebook:

* SCREEN: 15.6? FULL HD 1080p 1920x1080 "CSV-Colorshine" WIDE-SCREEN LED LCD
* CPU: Intel® Core i7 720QM Turbo 2.80GHz Quad Core 6MB Cache (1.60GHz ) - Processor
* RAM: 4GB/4096MB DDR3 RAM - OR: +$365 FOR: 6GB/6144MB DDR3 RAM
* HDD: 640GB HDD Set = 320GB HDD @ 7200RPM (OR: +$245 for 1TB/1,000GB as 2x 500GB 7200RPM)
---OR: Upgrade 1x HDD: 64GB/128GB SSD +$249/$389
* ODD: DVD-Burner Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
-Internet Special: Post us on web forum for 50% OFF Blu-ray: COMBO/BURNER Up-Grade = only +$175/$445!
* VIDEO: nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1GB/1024MB DDR3 Pro GAMING 3D Graphics
* OS: 64Bit Windows 7 Home PREMIUM (OR: 64-bit W7 Ultimate +$265)
* OTHER FEATURES: 802.11N, Web-Cam, Bluetooth, RJ-45 GB-LAN, eSATA, HDMI, 56k Fax/Modem
CASH PRICE: $2,379 & FREE Pick-up or FREE Delivery to; Bris, Syd, Melb
Maelstrom
QUOTE (TheTacoMan @ Dec 6 2009, 03:54 PM) *
* ODD: DVD-Burner Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
-Internet Special: Post us on web forum for 50% OFF Blu-ray: COMBO/BURNER Up-Grade = only +$175/$445!

Did you get the special?

What's the battery life like, out of curiosity?
TheTacoMan
Nah, don't really need the blu-ray burner. It's not here yet, should arrive in the coming week
Sharks
oh god. Don't use that thing on your lap!

Robert
Yeah, I use it with a laptop cooler if its on my lap, just because I'm paranoid of blocking any intake fans
Locke
And/or lighting yourself on fire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
 Runescape