Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharing 3g connection at respawn.
Sharks
post Aug 9 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Friend and I want to take a wireless 3g usb to respawn to use with a sim card. Is it possible for both of us to use it at the same time whilst still being connected to the respawn LAN?

Any help is appreciated smile.gif
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Aug 9 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #2
^_^

Next event:

Yes, it is possible.

The easiest way would be to set up a proxy server on one PC, and tell your internet browser, IM programs etc to use the proxy server on the other PC with the 3G connection.

AnalogX Proxy is simple and works, but other may recommend other stuff.

It's also possible to set up other stuff, but going any more complicated is likely to interfere with your network access at respawn unless you know what you're doing.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Aug 9 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

Would it be easier if we brought a router in to play?

If one PC is the host, can it view what the other is doing? (want to keep privacy intact here)
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jutzy
post Aug 9 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

Sir squid,

you may have to come help us on the day, i installed the AnalogX Proxy does sharks have to install it too?

--------------------
------Jutzy------
Just a regular Joe Nao!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Aug 9 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #5
^_^

Next event:

I believe the network is set up to prevent people plugging in routers, running DHCP servers, etc. Also, running your PCs behind a router would interfere with your access to the network - no LAN game browsers for a start.

As for how to use it the proxy..

The PC with 3G connected to it ("3G-PC") needs to have AnalogX Proxy installed. Find out the IP addres of 3G-PC. Make sure Proxy is running - it'll have a little green icon in the system tray if it is. If it's red, there's something wrong. Have a look in options and try and figure out what the problem is.

On the other PC ("C-PC"), programs need to be configured to use a proxy. To do this in Internet Explorer (IE's settings carry across to a number of other programs, such as MSN Messenger, but not everything), go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings. Tick both the "Use a proxy server" and "bypass proxy for local addresses" box. Put in the IP address of 3G-PC, and for the port, have a look in the handy-dandy-analogx-proxy-readme-file - I can't remember what port it uses off the top of my head. It's something obscure, but you're looking for the HTTP port. Stick that port in to the port box of IE's LAN settings, click ok a few times, and it should work... Probably.

Firefox uses a similar method.

QUOTE (xevious)
you may have to come help us on the day,

I may or may not have time to help with that. If you do come and seek help from me, you'll be quite a way down the priority list. You'd be better to ask the people around you and see if they know how to do it. =)

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sharks
post Aug 9 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Aug 9 2009, 06:48 PM) *
I believe the network is set up to prevent people plugging in routers, running DHCP servers, etc. Also, running your PCs behind a router would interfere with your access to the network - no LAN game browsers for a start.

As for how to use it the proxy..

The PC with 3G connected to it ("3G-PC") needs to have AnalogX Proxy installed. Find out the IP addres of 3G-PC. Make sure Proxy is running - it'll have a little green icon in the system tray if it is. If it's red, there's something wrong. Have a look in options and try and figure out what the problem is.

On the other PC ("C-PC"), programs need to be configured to use a proxy. To do this in Internet Explorer (IE's settings carry across to a number of other programs, such as MSN Messenger, but not everything), go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings. Tick both the "Use a proxy server" and "bypass proxy for local addresses" box. Put in the IP address of 3G-PC, and for the port, have a look in the handy-dandy-analogx-proxy-readme-file - I can't remember what port it uses off the top of my head. It's something obscure, but you're looking for the HTTP port. Stick that port in to the port box of IE's LAN settings, click ok a few times, and it should work... Probably.

Firefox uses a similar method.

QUOTE (xevious)
you may have to come help us on the day,

I may or may not have time to help with that. If you do come and seek help from me, you'll be quite a way down the priority list. You'd be better to ask the people around you and see if they know how to do it. =)

Thanks a lot. Should be able to set it up since you gave that explaination. Thanks again.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jutzy
post Aug 9 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

Yeh thanks. i installed analoug x proxy and im like wtf :S

this helps alot!

--------------------
------Jutzy------
Just a regular Joe Nao!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:40 PM