post Feb 22 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #1
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

Introducing...
Respawn LAN 16
April 10-11th, 2010
Union Hall, La Trobe University, Bundoora

Respawn LAN is back with yet another fun-filled weekend of solid gaming. Watch this space for announcements throughout this week... this will be our biggest event yet!

For the first time ever, we've booked both the main hall and the smaller venue to bring you the AusHalo Melbourne event with a $3500 prize pool for console gamers. This event will be run seperate to Respawn so registration will be via AusHalo's forums. More detail in an upcoming newspost!

Brief details include:

Competitions!
  • Counter-Strike: Source 5v5
  • Call Of Duty 4 5v5
  • Team Fortress 2: 6v6
  • GRiD
  • Flatout 2
  • HAWX
  • Quake III Arena duel
  • Armagetron
  • CS:S GUNGAME
  • Regular fun competitions!

And other fun activitues such as: watch the admins destroy a Macintosh!

We've already opened registrations and we're full but don't fret, just make sure you confirm early and you still stand a chance!
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Zantikk
post Feb 22 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

can't wait wink.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jutzy
post Feb 23 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

Yay v16 wow... cant wait man epic shiz

--------------------
------Jutzy------
Just a regular Joe Nao!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post Feb 24 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (xevious @ Feb 23 2010, 11:18 PM) *

i sure wish i could pay entry online.

its so stupid that i cant pay for the event using paypal or something
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Feb 24 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (djzort @ Feb 24 2010, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (xevious @ Feb 23 2010, 11:18 PM) *

i sure wish i could pay entry online.

its so stupid that i cant pay for the event using paypal or something

Yeah cuz I know that I want my fee going to pay for paypal fees....
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThirtySix45
post Feb 24 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #6
Player

Next event:

whats so hard about paying on the day?

--------------------
QUOTE (Ninjabreadman @ Sep 8 2009, 09:02 PM) *
respawn boasts a great 1:222 girl to guy to ratio
couldn't be more sausage

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Patryn
post Feb 25 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

takes ages to get in! xD
that's the only benefit i can think of aside from the people who come later than 2pm...
would it be feasible to have registration start earlier and then doors opening at 10am?
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xbox_girl
post Feb 25 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Patryn @ Feb 25 2010, 09:10 AM) *
takes ages to get in! xD
that's the only benefit i can think of aside from the people who come later than 2pm...
would it be feasible to have registration start earlier and then doors opening at 10am?

I would say no, it wouldn't. I suggest if the wait annoys you, feel free to camp out over night. You'll be first in line.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post Feb 25 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #9
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (xbox_girl @ Feb 25 2010, 02:15 PM) *
takes ages to get in! xD

I would say no, it wouldn't. I suggest if the wait annoys you, feel free to camp out over night. You'll be first in line.

online payments means that people could be bothered to turn up. the paypal fee is insignificant compared to the money lost from no shows.

cost of 500 people paying via paypal = $500

cost of 50 people not showing up = $1500

there is no way the event can get bigger without paying before hand.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andrewzor
post Feb 25 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #10
Player

Next event:

takes ages to get in! xD

Lans I went to a while ago had a pre-pay option, but I'm sure they've already thought this through.

Just saw the post above me^

Alot of people don't have access to paypal and debit cards such as <18 lanners. Still a good idea.

--------------------
Flawless Victory
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GerrySly
post Feb 25 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #11
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (djzort @ Feb 25 2010, 03:13 PM) *
online payments means that people could be bothered to turn up. the paypal fee is insignificant compared to the money lost from no shows.

cost of 500 people paying via paypal = $500

cost of 50 people not showing up = $1500

there is no way the event can get bigger without paying before hand.

It would be a good idea but it wouldn't really speed things up (short of sending out the lanyards which would be be costly in itself)

I mean when we get in we hand over the money and they just tick us off and boom we get a lanyard and go. If they didn't send out the lanyards then we'd have to show ID / transaction ids or something when we rock up which would probably take longer then just handing over cash.

Still a cool idea if they did send out, could make the online price like $31 to cover sending out the lanyards, then once the doors are open we can just walk straight in
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tank
post Feb 25 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

we are currently looking at improving the way we work on this part of the LAN, including pre-pay options and barcodes.

thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GIARUS
post Feb 25 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #13
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Andrewzor @ Feb 25 2010, 03:18 PM) *
takes ages to get in! xD

Lans I went to a while ago had a pre-pay option, but I'm sure they've already thought this through.

Alot of people don't have access to paypal and debit cards such as <18 lanners. Still a good idea.

yeh and what happens if somthing comes up u lose money atleast if u pay when u get there its easier

--------------------

The internet! Where men are men, Women are men & underage teens are FBI agents
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post Feb 25 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #14
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (Andrewzor @ Feb 25 2010, 03:18 PM) *
takes ages to get in! xD

at fragfest we have 90% of people paying online (~100 attending), of which only 4 or so dont show up - but as you would expect there is no refunds for no shows [1]. we also charge $10 more for payment at the door and we do transfer payments to future events if you contact us prior to the event.

40% of our attendance is under 18. paypal allows direct debit payments in addition to credit card, and we also allow arbitrary group payments. so people just register, then anyone with a paypal account can select 1 or more registered people and pay for them. group payments also reduce the transaction fee.

we have alienated a few people, but have improved from a 20% no show to generally having more people turn up than register. so i would propose that with 700 people registered, if you alienate 10% of people the resultant 630 registrations still the venue, but you will have substantially reduced the risk and will be preparing people for a larger event where admins cant afford to fork out cash to cover deposits etc.

regular cash flow allows us to use the lans money to pay for things rather than risking our own personal incomes. this helps keep the LAN sustainable. the uber LAN's in europe and england all sell tickets and sell out weeks and months before hand.

changing from at the door to online payments is a slow culture shift, but people are used to paying for events when they register. at the end of the day, people dont lose out if they register and dont bother showing up - but lan admins do and other people miss out. but if people pay, they DO lose out if they dont show up.

were looking into having people print tickets with barcodes for express entry, but with the resultant minimal cash handing we already have (and ushering paid people to the front of the queue) we can process about 80 people in 20 minutes with just 2 people ticking off names.

just my 2c.

[1] no refunds if you buy a movie ticket, or a concert ticket and dont show up.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirSquidness
post Feb 25 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #15
^_^

Next event:

Just to clarify:

We are very much aware of what, how and why online/pre-pay ticketing works and how it will benefit us.

We have our reasons for not having implemented it yet.

When we do implement it, and yes, it will almost certainly happen at some point in the future, we will let you know (obviously).

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Patryn
post Feb 25 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #16
Player

Next event:

to clarify my suggestion of having rego start early:
i meant that instead of the table being inside the LAN area, it be in the foyer area at like 9:30am and people could pay and get their lanyards and stuff before the doors opened.
and then they could go grab their computers and come back and just take in their computers when doors opened at 10am. This would just make it quicker for most people to setup and start lanning! ^^

security is a concern though, so not sure if that's a problem or not.

but yesh, online payment would be awesome to reduce the no-shows. if they paid and don't show up, then it's their own fault. sending out lanyards wouldn't be a good idea though methinks. lot of manual processing, and then you get ppls trying to screw the system, or just plain forgot to bring their lanyard on the day. easier to just pickup. ^^

meh, how it is now is fine. just want to start lanning sooner. ^^
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
djzort
post Feb 27 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

are people with exact change ushered to the front? thats a pretty simple way to speed up rego.
also i recommend a policy of no tech support in the first hour, all staff should be focused on people getting in the door. this helps to reduce the occurrences of when there is a line of 200 people, and the 4th person in the door asks the staff on rego to help them with their dhcp settings (sure why not hold up 200 people?)

what would be really neat would taking a page out of macdonalds book and have some people roaming the line with a PDA taking rego. even if they were just taking exact change, things would still move more quickly.

another 2c
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Patryn
post Feb 27 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #18
Player

Next event:

i don't think all staff should be doing rego. 2 or 3 is enough, otherwise there'd be too many people trying to get a tag from the box.
but those ppls on rego shouldn't be asked to do anything else till the line is smaller. There are plenty of other admins around who can help. usually...

I think if there's a power or network issue, they need to be sorted out pretty soon as well. it's not just about rego. *nods*
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLoV
post Mar 1 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #19
Power Gopher

Next event:

how the hell are we going to power 2 halls ? 1 at 500 is hard enough tongue.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Alioth
post Mar 2 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #20
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SLoV @ Mar 1 2010, 10:57 PM) *
how the hell are we going to power 2 halls ?

With SCIENCE!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 PM