Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ...Macs?.!?, How much do people really hate them... and why???
Fallacious Ultimatum
post Apr 9 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

I just brought my first imac and my first computer.. I mean I dont have it cause I sent it away for DOA due to some dead pixels, but besides that. What do people think about macs?

Oh yeah and another thing, I. only. just. got into gaming. I do realise that for hardcore gamers, Build your own PCs are the only way to go. But, I still think imacs are nice 'non-enthusiest' starter computers

Anyway, what do you guys think???

P.S. My computer is a...

24" (1920x1200)
2.8Ghz Core2Duo
320 GB HDD
1GB Ram
W/less Bluetooth keyboard & mice

hey.. btw is it a mouse? or only a mice , plural stuff hmmmm .... huh.gif
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MissDumpling
post Apr 9 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Player

Next event:

I've been using macs my whole life. You kinda have to get used to the shit you're definitely going to get for it.
I also upgraded to basically what you have but with 500HDD and 4gigs of ram and its keeping me pretty satisfied.

Granted I do more design/photography stuff than like gaming on my mac (...booting into XP takes... ..effort).
I'd totally recommend you getting Bootcamp (not parallel/VM) if You haven't already for gaming.

Gamers generally hate macs because they were brought up with one thing and are not used to something that they are used to being familiar with. That and the total lack of control that the high oh mighty master, Steve Jobs allows us to have with the surface of the Mac.

My personal opinion is that why I buy a car, I don't want to fiddle around with it or deal with problems. It runs and I'm fine with it. It's all gg.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Apr 10 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #3
Hueg.

Next event:

Im one of those people who wouldnt have a PC that i didnt put together.... period. I dont trust other people to do the job for me smile.gif

Saying that, an imac with windows will perform very well in most games, dont count on many upgrade options later on down the track however as apple products...quite simply dont have many. If you havent already i would recommend installing windows XP or windows Vista on your Imac if you want to play any games on it smile.gif

Imac + windows = not too bad, just dont count on apple support to help you much

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Banshee: N2820 Intel NUC, 4GB DDR3l, 60GB Kingston V300 SSD, 1080P Projector :3
Rush: HP Microserver, 8GB DDR3, 4x 2TB
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MiniWalks
post Apr 11 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #4
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

only Apple "I" product i will probably ever use will be an iPod, purely becuase it has full sync with my cars stereo system.

--------------------

- Menu of life, Exit of death, Your final grave, In peace you may rest
QUOTE: 16:31 < Jeffy> MiniWalks i bow to your superiority
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neon
post Apr 11 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #5
Player

Next event:

Overpriced and expensive, so no, not an ideal "first timer" system.

The only macs i like are macbooks. even still, i only like the style, so i'd bootcamp any mac i got. Incidently, my girlfriend has a macbook, and they are nice, but i dont like the operating system very much. I can use it, as i use it at work along with a mac server, but i prefer windows environment.

--------------------
.:neon:.

---> http://www.sanlan.com.au <--- Mornington Peninsula LAN Party!
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MiniWalks
post Apr 11 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #6
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

yeha, ill agree with you on that, the UI on the mac confuses the fuck out of me. which is why i was saying that i would get an iPod, and even then only coz i can control it from my headunit in my car, and not have to worry about batteries going flat

--------------------

- Menu of life, Exit of death, Your final grave, In peace you may rest
QUOTE: 16:31 < Jeffy> MiniWalks i bow to your superiority
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shady
post Jun 19 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #7
Player

Next event:

That's what it comes down to though, some people like fiddling with PC's and tweaking and just doing all sorts of things.

And that's why and where PC's rule, Macs are fine for those that just want to do what they need to do on a computer and be done with it.

But still PC Gaming enthusiasts will never buy a Mac because like a Dell or HP etc. it is shocking "bang for buck" and you could get a system that shits on the equivalent priced Mac for much less, or something so much more powerful for the same price. With the option to upgrade etc.

I enjoyed using my mates iMac with the integrated 24" screen running XP, but it's like the worst possible combination to have a 24" 1920x1200 resolution screen, with a 7300GT for a video card. And it cost like $2.5K... ffs.

And he ends up running XP on it anyway... tell me that ain't stupid.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Grey
post Jun 26 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #8
Player

Next event:

DEATH TO ALL MAC OS's mad.gif

In earlier school years we used OS X and after using Win98 and XP I just couldn't handle the freezing, crap interfacing and overall SO expensive, in my eyes apple will always just be bling.

Theres also this piece of work claiming to be the skinniest laptop on earth, but in all realism has no use. 1 USB, no CD/DVD/Blue ray drive (methinks the usb will be used for this, also very lame, now you have no usb!) but includes silly things like using a different amount of fingers on the touchpad will change the picture your looking at to the next one or flip it. Hardware >>>>>>>>>> Looks, also with a laptop that small, imagine the cooling.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jun 26 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #9
Hueg.

Next event:

i always lol at the looks aspect of apple owners

For starters, ive never found apple products to be that good looking. And while trying to look good they make very bad overall design choices.

Bad choice 1. badly mounted DVD drive on all imac machines, we had some "not too old" G5 imacs at tafe with the slot load DVD drives mounted vertically. They are all broken and make terrible noises

2. apple decided with the latest imac to place the power button on the BACK of the unit, as well as all the USB and firewire ports..
i mean cmon, thats just silly, there is a massive space on an imac where they could have placed these sockets or even added more sockets. But instead they chose to place these at the back of the unit, requiring me to literally move the imac to either turn it on or insert a USB stick.

3. No choice in design. With PC's you can quite easilly get a machines thats black white blue grey silver red orange... hell anything
with apple, you get what you get, thats all. My current case (Gigabyte 3d Aurora) is quite nice looking, black, not overbearing like some "pimped" cases. Compare this to apples stock design choices and i know what i would pick tongue.gif

Thats my 2 cents tongue.gif

R4N

--------------------

Voodoo: i5 3570k, Asrock Z77, 16GB DDR3, Ati 280x 3GB, 120GB 520 SSD + 2x 2TB, Lian-Li PC A04, Win8.1.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sando
post Jun 26 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #10
Respawn Alumni

Next event:

2. apple decided with the latest imac to place the power button on the BACK of the unit, as well as all the USB and firewire ports..
i mean cmon, thats just silly, there is a massive space on an imac where they could have placed these sockets or even added more sockets. But instead they chose to place these at the back of the unit, requiring me to literally move the imac to either turn it on or insert a USB stick.

Form over function... although it's no way near as bad as you make it. The power button is not really an issue, after a few tries, it's dead easy to press it without having to turn the iMac around. I'll admit, the headphone jack is kind of annoying but your USB sticks should be plugged into the keyboard, not in the back tongue.gif
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Jun 26 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #11
Hueg.

Next event:

ill give you the usb argument... for low power devices, i found 2.5" USB drives wont work on the keyboard ports tho :S

*shrugs*

R4N

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
FallaciousUltimatum
post Oct 18 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #12
Player

Next event:

Hmmm. Well, six months later I finally reply...

Yeah I know Apple make a crapload of bad choices (and they proabably would have died by now if not for the ipod)

But, I was curious! rolleyes.gif

I'm more of a software geek than a hardware one... so the idea of being able to boot all the main OS and try all 3rd party software was really appealing.

I think Apple really excel at Sofware development, small details just make sense to me.
It's hard to pinpoint. It's much more intuitive for me to be productive in Leopard.

pffftt.... skip that...

Just so you all know

I do have XP dualbooting, I fiddled with some virtual machines (CS:S, Trackmania, GH3) inside leopard, and they worked flawlessly, but as if had I only had 3/4 of my processor. So i didn't find using them worth it when i can just reboot.

P.S. thats BiG T not me.

Blah blah blah ... I will always use Mac OSX for work (maybe look into a hackintosh) But I plan to have a seperate gaming machine with a offering of Windows (skipping resource hungry vista biggrin.gif)

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Little_BiG_T_ag_copy.jpg ( 47.23K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
LAWL
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Oct 22 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #13
Hueg.

Next event:

QUOTE (FallaciousUltimatum @ Oct 18 2008, 02:21 PM) *
Yeah I know Apple make a crapload of bad choices (and they proabably would have died by now if not for the ipod)

pretty much.

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Zardoz
post Oct 27 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #14
Respawn LAN big kahoona

Next event:

Macs are pretty neat. I recently picked up a MacBook Pro 17" and this thing is quick - and is the most portable 17" system on the market.

Unfortunately, the windows support on it is a bit lacking with drivers.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neon
post Nov 4 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #15
Player

Next event:

anyone here using macs at lans (you know who you are... you dirty people...) what DC client do you use? im sick of carting an extra pc around for my girlfriend, so im making her bring her mac next time, so i was gona give shakespeare a go - is that the best one to use?

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R4N
post Nov 4 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #16
Hueg.

Next event:

theres always VMware fusion + XP + DC++ smile.gif

other than that no idea

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neon
post Nov 6 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #17
Player

Next event:

i've tried shakespeer. Works quite well, except it completely shits itself downloading from the latest DC++ Seems to like anything under 0.674.

--------------------

Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:12 AM