Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> General Newbie LAN questions
madcat
post Jan 7 2013, 09:35 AM
Post #1
Player

Next event:

Hey guys, Im making the trek down from NSW for the long weekend LAN. Just got a few questions I couldn't see answered in the guide/forums

------

Is there a limit on the size/number of screens you are allowed to bring and have space for, I like to spread out a little, I hate being crowded in like sardines at a LAN, eg

1 or 2 21s
1 or 2 24s
1 or 2 27s (think I know the answer to that one haha)

------

Do you guys use any kind of voice program for games, eg vent, ts, mumble etc with channels for specific games, or is it just a yell fest? My headphones dont have a mic so I will just bring a $10 cheapie mic.

------

With games like COD4/Flatout etc, what version is used, steam, retail or other? I have all three for those games, as well as games like TF2, CS:S, CS:GO on steam, I just want to make sure I have all my games updated and ready to play beforehand so Im not "that guy" who needs game files/updates at the very last minute

-------

Are there any facilities such as fridge or microwave available for use, or is it a case of fend for yourself for anything food related, apart from the bbq

-------

Apart from the official comps, are people allowed to organise/run their own game servers? EG if felt like a game of AoE or UT or non-pro COD or school bus only flatout, I can just start up a server and ask people if they want to play?

-------

Which brings me to my next question, I have a dedicated server which I can chuck somewhere and remote manage it. Do I need a separate registration for this, eg is the registration fee per player, or per network port/pc?

-------

Because Ive never been before/wont know anyone there, should I hide my lunch money in my shoes and hide in the corner, or are newcomers welcome? lol

-------

Sorry if any of the questions are stupid, just trying to be prepared
Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SirSquidness
post Jan 7 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #2
^_^

Next event:

QUOTE (madcat @ Jan 7 2013, 10:35 AM) *
Is there a limit on the size/number of screens you are allowed to bring and have space for, I like to spread out a little, I hate being crowded in like sardines at a LAN, eg

Tables are either 8' split three ways, or 6' split two ways. You're welcome to take up as much space as you like, as long as you don't annoy anyone sitting next to you. (a single 27" fits fine. People have managed two screens before, but only because their next door neighbour was very accommodating)

Do you guys use any kind of voice program for games, eg vent, ts, mumble etc with channels for specific games, or is it just a yell fest? My headphones dont have a mic so I will just bring a $10 cheapie mic.

Sure do. Mumble, TS2, TS3 and Vent all run at the event. I don't think they're used much as a general chit chat lobby (I'm not sure because I don't pay any attention to them - they certainly get used for teams though)

With games like COD4/Flatout etc, what version is used, steam, retail or other? I have all three for those games, as well as games like TF2, CS:S, CS:GO on steam, I just want to make sure I have all my games updated and ready to play beforehand so Im not "that guy" who needs game files/updates at the very last minute

I think the only game where we don't use latest official patch is Warcraft III, when it's played. [citation needed] - if the game is on Steam, it's the version on Steam.

Are there any facilities such as fridge or microwave available for use, or is it a case of fend for yourself for anything food related, apart from the bbq

Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to provide fridge/etc services. It's fend for yourself, except for the BBQ (and we intend there to be plenty of BBQ this event!). Maccas is a 20 minute walk away, and there's a Coles and a Woolworths within a 5 minute drive.

Apart from the official comps, are people allowed to organise/run their own game servers? EG if felt like a game of AoE or UT or non-pro COD or school bus only flatout, I can just start up a server and ask people if they want to play?

Absolutely. This is encouraged smile.gif

Which brings me to my next question, I have a dedicated server which I can chuck somewhere and remote manage it. Do I need a separate registration for this, eg is the registration fee per player, or per network port/pc?

Your seat only gets one network port, but you're welcome to put the server in our server area. Come find me at the event and I'll sort you out.

Because Ive never been before/wont know anyone there, should I hide my lunch money in my shoes and hide in the corner, or are newcomers welcome? lol

More than welcome! Post on the forums at the event and seek some gaming buddies.

--------------------
TRON MAN SAYS:
Using proper spelling and grammar makes you look smart. USE THEM! =D

Important information regarding your abuse of the English language
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
madcat
post Jan 7 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #3
Player

Next event:

QUOTE (SirSquidness @ Jan 7 2013, 11:08 AM) *
Tables are either 8' split three ways, or 6' split two ways. You're welcome to take up as much space as you like, as long as you don't annoy anyone sitting next to you. (a single 27" fits fine. People have managed two screens before, but only because their next door neighbour was very accommodating)

Sure do. Mumble, TS2, TS3 and Vent all run at the event. I don't think they're used much as a general chit chat lobby (I'm not sure because I don't pay any attention to them - they certainly get used for teams though)

I think the only game where we don't use latest official patch is Warcraft III, when it's played. [citation needed] - if the game is on Steam, it's the version on Steam.

Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to provide fridge/etc services. It's fend for yourself, except for the BBQ (and we intend there to be plenty of BBQ this event!). Maccas is a 20 minute walk away, and there's a Coles and a Woolworths within a 5 minute drive.

Absolutely. This is encouraged smile.gif

Your seat only gets one network port, but you're welcome to put the server in our server area. Come find me at the event and I'll sort you out.

More than welcome! Post on the forums at the event and seek some gaming buddies.

Cool thanks Squidy, cant wait for the LAN. I might bring a single 27, as its my favourite screen.
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Demonstalker
post Jan 8 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #4
Player

Next event:

Hey man,

Some of us bring an esky to keep our drinks cold. The admins normally organize a pizza order and get a ton of pizzas (pay for your own).

If you wanted extra room all you need to do is buy an extra seat and book in both next to one another.

--------------------
--DeMoN--
Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:31 PM